Is this milk ok?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Mar 18, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I have about 10 gallons of frozen goat milk left from last summer. It was frozen before we moved so thawed slightly... from that or some other unknown it separates when thawed. Is there any reason it could NOT be used for the kids other than it may clog the nipples?

:crazy 8 kids from 3 does and one of those a FF... I NEED milk!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

whip it pasturize it and use it for your kids even if you don't pasturize it is ok for the kids. personally I would pasturize it just to make sure.

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We froze a ton of milk last year - it all separates when we thaw, but the kids don't mind. But you are right - cleaning tubes and nipples is harder.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

if you whip it either with a stick blender or in a reg blender it all goes back together. doesn't clog nipples. heck I feed kefir and tis not a problem. I stick blend it also

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Yep....ours separates too. The stick blender gets it all back together and no prob. clogging things.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Frozen milk is what got me through a tough spot in Feb... and yep, it was seperated. I ran it through the pasturizer, whip it real good with a whisk and out to the barn! I ALWAYS keep a good supply through the winter just for emergency animal use. Usually the milk I get at the last of the year when drying off.
    Kaye

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Thanks! The frozen milk is working great and actually only about half of it is separating :?
    ...plus I sold two kids this morning and another on reserve. Now my phone will quit ringing every other day "do you have milk yet?" :crazy and maybe we'll soon make some cheese...