Is this lice? Another ? added.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I noticed Hannah's hair seemed to be sticking up and just looked weird. I got her on the milk stand and she's losing her hair. Quite abit to. If I run my hand over her back and sides hair just starts coming off. She was doing this the other day but I thought it was normal shedding and didn't think much of it. But now she has these bald spots and I took a closer look and could see tiny bugs moving. They were whitish/creamish colored.

My questions.
    1) Is this lice?
    2) If it is, what do I treat her with?
    3) Should I treat the whole herd, or just the goats that's been in the same barn?

Thanks in advance! :D

Here are some photos of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Re: Is this lice?

Hm, Years ago, when I had an infestation of lice. with an Old white horse being cancerous and near death, we louse dusted all the girls bathed and dusted the horse dusted all the bedding. I haven't ever noticed a problem other then the once After they have all the old bedding out and the spring clips that'ld stop the problem. Dusting now is what I recomond or maybe a dairy spray? read the labels at the farm store and see what to use On "Dairy" cows for lice

3. Re: Is this lice?

Thanks for replying. I am going to be stripping at their stall tomorrow. (It needs it.) I'll see what our farm store has. I know they have powder made for horses with lice. Other then that, Im not sure what all they have. Would sevin dust work if the farm store doesn't have anything that can be used on the goats?

Thanks again! :D

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep sevin dust works really well and its safe too...

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Last year along about this time, I ran into a lice problem here......I think this is the time of year when lice pops can explode......anyway, I treated my goats with a fly, lice, etc. spray that was made for horses. It worked very well for me.....I too give everybody a little Ivomec, cleaned out all the barn, and sprayed the same horse spray in the stalls.
    Now , you are milking, so it's up to you if using Ivomec on withdrawal times......I think there are probably some unknown knowns with the powders and other pesticides used on goats, and withdrawal times also .......but sevin has been pretty safe for me when used on most other animals as well over the years.

As a personal note....I would not use anything over 10% sevin......5% may be strong enough to get the lice....maybe somebody can post what strengths they've used.

Whim

6. Re: Is this lice?

The only girls in milk are 3 pygmys and just the kids are drinking that milk. I dont milk pygmys. Lol. teats too small for me. lol
    Hannah is pregnant, (Should be.) is it ok to use the sevin dust on her even though she's bred?

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Well, I'm one of these folks who just don't like to tamper around on a bred doe with anything......but my thinking would be that sevin would be the least out to harm her or her unborn kids. Try not to get any in her mouth or up her nose. I would take care not to get any in their feed/hay, water buckets, or feed pans. That dust always seems to wind up blowing around everywhere when I used it.

When you get your goats/places treated....also treat any brushes/blankets etc. too.

Whim

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Just wondering would DE work better? Its safe and it is eatable also. I sprinkle it on my goats bedding and where the chickens dust each day for lice. I get the food grade type also..

9. Re: Is this lice?

Thanks for all the help! I'll dust my nubians on the milk stand. That way it wont get in their hay and water or feed buckets/pans. :D

I have used sevin dust before, just not on pregnant does.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just watch with any dust that you dont' get it in their nose and eyes so they inhale it. YOU EITHER

11. Re: Is this lice?

Well I didn't see much at the farm store this morning so I went ahead and used the sevin dust. I didn't want to wait any longer and check the other store. She lost more hair. I went ahead and used it on Hannah, Delilah, Georgia, Carmello, Nica, Storm, Cocoa, Twix & Hershie. Tomorrow I'll sprinkle it around in all the bedding. And then once it quits raining get the rest of the herd. (Carmella, Snickers, Mike, Tucker, Precious, Frostie, Skittles & Wether) Those guys aren't near the ones I dusted today. I didn't take enough of it to the barn to do the bedding also so I'll do that tomorrow morning when I do the chores.

Should I redust the first group again soon?? Or just wait and see if there's improvement before dusting again?

Thanks for all the help. :D

12. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I would not use 7 dust IF you have kids as I killed a litter of pups once from dusting the mama dog for fleas as it got on the dogs teats and then poisoned the puppies and they all died. I would think it would get on the does teats also and I just wouldn't take a chance with the kids . :nooo

13. Re: Is this lice?

Hannah is losing more hair. How long before she'll quit?

Thanks!!

14. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Well it is time for them to start shedding as mine are ...just basically their undercoats ...my horses are too cause of this weird weather.

15. Yes I know its time for them to be shedding but she's losing alot of hair. She has bald spots on her shoulders, rump, back. So I think this is more then just shedding out the winter coat. She looks worse now then she did the 16th.
    I'll try to get another photo of her tomorrow.

Thanks!

16. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

You can take white vinegar in a pump bottle and spray her balding spots down with it. It stops the itching. Rub it into the skin.

17. heather

heather New Member

i'm new to this all, but just treated my nubian that got really sick with lice. she didn't lose her hair but they were basically sucking the life out of her, double check for anemia (looking at gums and eyelids to make sure they are pink and not white) if she is then red cell every day is good. just my thoughts......

18. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Amy.....it may be because of the lice itching her, in combination with some natural shedding......but I'm almost willing to bet that those really bald spots that you are seeing is being caused by her doing a lot of rubbing on stuff...fence, post, walls, you name it.
    My goats are shedding like crazy too right now.....my fences,chairs,barn door,etc., are covered with hair more than usual. .....and at least for now, I haven't seen any lice this time on any of mine.

Whim

19. Thanks for the replies. I'll get a picture of her today. :D

What did you treat your doe with for the lice?

20. Picture was taken today.

[​IMG]

How fast does the sevin dust work?