Is this better than Probios? Also look at this feed...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Dec 26, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

http://www.mannapro.com/ah_jumpstart.html
    That is what I picked up at Rural King the other day. Should I give the whole 10 cc dose to my sick doe every day while giving her yogurt the same day? I would rather use more yogurt than the paste just due to cost, but I do want to get hr better fast. How much yogurt should I give her?

What do you think about this feed? http://www.kentequine.com/getdoc/c0cf3852-71d4-44c0-9673-8deb60db2022/7669-pdf.aspx

I was thinking about switching to this feed. I have been feeding a 16% protein feed mix. (Oats, Calf Manna, beetpulp and BOSS). They don't really like the calf manna. I could never get any of my animals to eat the stuff very well. This feed would cost the same and I wouldn't have to mix it. It looks pretty good to me but what do you all think?

TIA!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

1st one is not the same as probios at all and no I would not switch.

3. Amanda, Have you looked into the 18% Milking Goat that KENT has?
    A KENT representative is suppose to send me information on various products they have for goats. If I cant find anything I like better, I'm going to switch back to the Provider 38, and do what I was doing when I first got Hannah. (Corn, Oats, Provider 38)

4. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Amy- No I haven't really looked into the Milking goat pellet. The reason being I had heard from some people that when they switched to that feed their milk got a funny taste to it. That and my Kent dealers are kinda jerky and don't like to order stuff for me. They are SOOO close to me though. I can get this other feed at the farm store in Peru which is why I asked about it. I don't mind feeding the Pro-Vider 38 either and would still be feeding it except for the fact that my goats now refuse to eat it (and have for the 2 different bags bought at different times.) I don't know if they switched the formula or what??? :help2

Sondra- Is there any reason in particular that you would not switch to that feed? It is definately more nutriant dense that the stuff I am feeding now. I will have to be taking the BOSS and BP out of the feed as soon as the bags run out as well. As far as ingredients go the thing I don't like about it is the molasses but it isn't too high on the list.

And I know the jump start is not the same as probios but is it better or worse?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well since probios is tried and true I just hate change I use powdered probios.

as for the feed I haven't a clue and wouldn't care to judge as I don't feed any premix feeds
    I mix my own and only feed whole oats/barley/cracked corn/beet pulp and BOSS If I don't have the money I cut the barley all depends on the prices

6. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Ok thanks! That makes sense to me...

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The thing I like abt mixing my own feed is I never have to worry that they changed the filled or anything at anytime and the goats allways eat it even when I delete the barley or add it back in gradually. No one ever gets sick It is just way easier for me. I use a 55gal drum and 100lb of oats, 100lb of barley/25 lb cracked corn /25lb of BOSS (orTBL oil added just when feeding because of costs) and 20lb of beet pulp. I just layer in the grains and stir around with a shovel. easy for me and the goats love it. Been on this program now over 5 yrs.

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Sondra,
    when you do oil instead of BOSS, what kind do you use? The beet pulp we have here all seems to have molasses in it. Is that a problem? Do you use a pelleted feed for your babies/bucks/wethers/dry does instead of this grain mix, or do you use this for everybody, all the time, just in varying amounts?

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

my bucks only get alfalfa pellets my does /dry and other wise all get alfalfa pellets. babies get a goat pellet to grow out on .
    does in milk get the above grain mix on the milk stand only and yes my dry beet pulp has molasses in it also but tis minimal. As the babies does get older and close to freshening the are switched to the above grain mix baby bucks are kept on pellets until a year old and then switched to alfalfa pellets. everyone gets 3lb alfalfa pellets per day if not more.
    I prefer sunflower oil but tis hard for me to get locally so lots of times I will use corn oil or safflower oil
    I then only grain bucks when in rutt and a while after to build them back up but either then use my grain mix adding some AC or a pellet that has it in it.

10. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Hi Stacey,

My mix is similar a 'part' = 50lb bag,
    8 parts whole or crimped oats
    4 parts barley
    1 part black oil sunflower seeds
    1 part calf manna knock off (anamax)
    1 part beet pulp

My beet pulp has molasses in it but it looks clean and dry so I don't think it has too much in there. Like Sondra, I have been feeding this mix for about 5 years with excellent results. I don't sub oil for BOSS. I use a meat goat pellet for my buck and grow out babies on medicated calf starter (pellets). Everybody always gets alfalfa pellets.

Christy

11. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Has anybody ever tried growing any of their own grain for these mixes? And how do you think these mixes compare, price-wise, to pelleted feeds?

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

My cost comes out to $12.50/50#, the same as most pelleted feeds.

Christy

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

The gel you are asking about is actually VERY similar to probios gel if you read the ingredients except that it has a higher probiotic count. I'd use it where I wanted to use a gel except that I prefer powder, LOL and use fast track.

The people that I would specifically ask about a pelleted dairy feed would be Ken (ARealdairyman on here) and/or Tim and Mary (ecftoggs). I believe that they each have years of using lactation pellets and could better review the feed tag as opposed to those of us who have more experience with using only whole grains. When I was deciding what to do regarding feed I asked them and they were very kind to review the feed tags that I copied for them. We recently switched to a lactation pellet after years of mixing our own. Part of it was needing to simplify and streamline things here, part of it was needing to be able to lock in a price for feed that we coudl use to budget and we could only do that with teh co-op with a pelleted feed, not single ingredients. Although there is something that I miss, viscerally, about seeing those whole grains in their feeders, I have to admit that the does have been doing *very* well on the lactation pellets. They have gotten into better condition and have been giving more milk than before, even at 10 months fresh. For us, at least for this time, it has been a good move.

14. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Thanks for the info guys!

The thing about changing ingredients in pelleted feeds does scare me. BUT that is another big thing to this feed. All ingredients are locked in this line of Kent feeds. Therefore I wouldn't have to worry about that. I agree I have had better luck with a quality lactation pellet than I have with whole grains. Different things work for different people. I am just trying to make things a little easier without sacrificing the quality of the feed. :)

15. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Sondra-

Of all the grain in your mix why do you choose to delete the barley?