Is something wrong w/legs & hooves?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, May 9, 2008.

1. This is Georgia.
    Is there something wrong with her back legs or is it just me? I trimmed hooves a few weeks ago. Her back legs just seem weird. I also gave her a BoSe shot. I cant remember the exact day but it was middle of April.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Re: Is something wrong w/legs?

Hope this post isnt missed. This is delilah. She also had a bose shot middle of april. Here's her feet....Whats up with them? Also she had her hooves trimmed recently. Were they not trimmed correctly?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Re: Is something wrong w/legs?

In the first pic of Delilah, it looks like she's standing on the outside of her hoof....could it be she's just walking that way because of being preggers? She's due the 17th of this month.

Oops Sorry for the 3rd post, I thought I was editing the second one about Delilah. :really

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I had a yearling get big huge with kid and her rear legs bowed and hooves look the same. I was told by another breeder they can correct but it will take time. My gals are much more severe than Delilahs. Georgia looks fine to me, but I have a very poor eye for legs and movement. Even when I was big into horses I was a very poor judge of whether their gait was off-sorry!

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She has very poor conformation of the foot. Her hooves are not shaped correctly and are thin, which you can't fix with hoof trimming. If this was her front feet I would say she foundered. You can see how weak her toes are that they move in every direction, her toes are pointing to the left in the photo with her hooves to the right.

She is also just at a really gawky ackward yearling stage right now, all legs.

If she is valuable to your breeding program and try a good horse mineral with biotin. You would not want to perpetuate this foot in your breeding program.

I would look through her pedigree with a fine tooth comb and perhaps share with other Nubian breeders on PM her pedigree, because there simply are bloodlines known who have very poor feet.

On the move she looks like her toes are really too long on the rear hoof, can you shave the hair right around the hoof and take another photo from the side, with your camera way down by the hoof? Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you can get biotin for horses at the feed stores.

7. Vicki, I am assuming you are talking about Georgia, the first doe pictured? Correct me if Im wrong. Yes I can get pictures of her hooves with the hair shaved.

What is biotin and what does it do? I haven't heard of it.

Thankyou for the replies! :D

8. NubianSoaps.com

Sorry I thought this was the same goat...OK the first goat is the remark about her long toes in the back....the second goat has bad feet. Are these two does related?

I don't want to offend at all.

Has the second doe had regular hoof trimming, or have her feet been allowed to get misshapen when young and growing? Vicki

9. susie

susie New Member

I have this in a doe- what does it indicate? It's like the hooves just bend to the side, instead of staying upright to support the body. All 4 feet, but es[ecially the front.
    this is the doe that aborted the quads this year , icidentally. She's UTD on her bo-se by the way.

Not meaning to hijack this, but they look similar to the last picture, doe's right foot, only more pronounced.

susie

10. Dont worry about hijacking the thread Susie. Its quite ok. :)

I went out to feed Milo before heading to bed and I took a look at Delilahs hooves, did a tiny bit of trimming and have pictures.

Will get pictures tomorrow of the after the hair is shaved. I can get pics of both does.

BTW- Delilah's ligaments are mushy! :D She's due next Saturday. (150days)

11. Here are the photos I was talking about that I got before coming in. Tomorrow I'll get better ones and will clean the poop off the hooves. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. I am going to get the hoof trimmers from Jeffers. Would using the pruning shears cause problems with their hooves?
    Delilah's feet hasn't been like that the whole time I've owned her. I just noticed it this past month. Also should I give them another BoSe shot before or after kidding? (All 3 had shots middle of April.) Pruning shears are hard to use to trim the dew claws.

Georgia= R-rear F-front

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rear
    [​IMG]

Delilah-She kept moving so I wasn't able to get a side view.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I would go ahead and try the jeffers hoof trimmers if you can get them although that shouldn't really make a difference.

Georgia's hooves look good to me. She looks like a really dairy doe and I have noticed that the dairier the animal the thinner their hooves tend to be, their feet doen't tend to be bad but their hooves tend to be thinner. (Just what I have noticed.) It looks to me like hertoes are just too long and it's forcing her back onto her heels a little bit. If you could slowly cut the toe back I don't think you would have a problem. Some does need more foot work than others I have noticed too. So if you keep on top of them she should be fine. Otherwise she looks ok to me. Her pasterns aren't the strongest but they aren't terrible either and not so great pasterns tend to run on both sides of her pedigree I am thinking. They hold up over the years but they aren't the prettiest.

I think Delilah's feet look a little beter in the shaved picture. She is however tending to roll them in under her. Maria (Maria and Delilah's dam have the same sire) is doing that right now but she is 7 years old and is ENORMOUS with a load of kids right now (I am thinking 3 at the minimum) so that might have something to do with it.

Delilah's dam and sire don't have feet problems so maybe it is just something they are lacking in their feed? I could be wrong. What type of mineral are you using now? I have gone to the Manna Pro goat mineral you can buy at the farm stores. It is in and 8 lb. plastic pouch I think. I am seeing how they do on it because the copper level is higher and I got to looking at the other Rural King minerals I was feding and the copper level was only 1300 PPM AND I looked on the ingredients list and they had added iron to it so there goes the ability to absorb all that copper. What a waste...
    (That mineral was also red where this new one is not red, showing little or no iron in it.) This new mineral also contains yeast and live cultures. The only thing I am not thrilled about is the fact that they put Ammonium choride in it. Does anyone have any information on if this is ok for lactating does? Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but I thought I would ask....

14. Thanks. :)

They are getting the rural king minerals and going through ALOT of it.

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I agree with this statement. From the looks of the picture taken of the underside of the foot. I'd trim that toe square to make her "break over" faster.
    I've started using a grinder to flaten the whole sole evenly and it's taken care of a lot of my foot problems.

One Saanen I have tends to roll her whole foot to the inside. The grinder is SLOWLY bringing the foot into alignment and she actually has pretty feet, almost. Much better than they were!
    Kaye

16. susie

susie New Member

I got some better minerals now and am hoping that it'll make this doe's feet better.
    That grinder sounds like a great idea!
    Susie

17. mpete

mpete New Member

Kaye, what kind of grinder are you using? I have been using a rasp, but a grinder sounds like it would work better.

18. NubianSoaps.com

You can see plainly in those photos it is not the hoof, it is the toes. This usually comes from not having their feet trimmed when young...imgine her toes really really long, it would make the toe straight. Annette Maze, when I was really new, was sitting with me and her doe Vicki at a show who was ill, talking about feet and we were critiquing feet as they went in and out of the show ring. She called this something...I have no idea what ligiatrue this is, but it is either from feet trimming or hereditary. Look closely at her families feet. Vicki