Is she bred?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Oct 12, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I have a dumb newbie question yet again...

So here's the scenario: Yesterday I decided to clean out the barns. Boys first. While I was cleaning, I let them up the hill to browse among the trees. Then I get to the girls' barn and think, "Should I put the boys up first? Nah, they're up the hill and the does are a few days past their cycle, it will be fine... Besides, the boys' floor could use a little airing out before I put them back." (You can see it already, can't you?)

So, I'm cleaning out the girls' barn and my son comes out whooping and hollering in his 5 year old way and the boys come running down the hill and notice the girls. Well, the head butting and blubbering start and I quickly notice that the February doeling that I *don't* want to breed this year is showing a great deal of interest. My other two does (one well over her fertile period and the other too young) show no interest. SO, I grab one buckling and put him in his pen, and then grab the other one and put him in... then I notice he's doing this funny thing with his mouth.

I go to finish cleaning the girls' barn and notice that aformentioned doeling is doing the same funny mouth thing. I don't think much of it, until I go out to feed in the evening. Said doeling has a little white goo on her vulva. Then, this morning, she appears dry. I let the girls out while I clean and refill water buckets, and when I put her up I notice clear and white discharge...

So was that funny mouth thing just part of the foreplay process, or did I witness the evidence of a goat "O"??? And does that goo/discharge mean that she's fertile, or bred? I heard it can take just seconds, and if she's bred, then that's the truth! Seconds! She's still flirting at the fence, but as I understant it, getting bred doesn't necessarily stop them from that?

Furthermore, the buckling that didn't get any action jumped the gate into the feed room (It's 5 feet tall!) trying to get to the does... (They're on the other side of the feed room.) He didn't get in, so I know which buck she'd be bred to, but he sure did make a mess! :crazy

So, if it's possible that she's bred, should I just get her luted when I do my vet visits this week? Or wait & see?

Before starting this whole process, I read You Can Farm by Joel Salatin. He said something about expecting the unexpected b/c the best laid plans don't always work out, and having to be able to handle it. Ain't that the truth! What a crazy life I've entered! ...and we won't even get into the latest chicken issues! :crazy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you can't lute for at least 10 days and do any good 14 is better.

3. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Okay, so should I plan on luting in 14 days, or wait and see if she's even bred?

I'm so new at this, and if it happened, missed "the act" and don't know if the signs I described are telltale signs of a breeding or just how goats flirt??

I weight taped both the Feb doelings today and after looking at photos, think I've improved my technique some. On the underside, I moved it back to where it gets smaller a little, not tight up behind the legs but an inch or two back and definitely behind the withers on top. They were both 105-110. So... I might discover at the vet this week that breeding either would be okay, and then in that case, would not breed the other one.... but then hope that this one took!

What a learning curve! I suppose no good in stressing out. For all I know, God has orchestrated this in my best interest! :)