Is Nuflor thick?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

All I have are 18 gauge needles---will I be able to use them to give Nuflor or is it thick stuff? Also, dose I have is 1.5cc for a 50 pound Nigie....sound correct? Thanks.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Nuflor is rather thick, but you should still be able to give it if you do it slowly. All I ever use are 20 g needles and I give Nuflor.
    I use Nuflor at 6 cc's per 100 lbs(double the cattle dose). So for me, that dose would be low.

3. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

I always use a 18 ga. needle as you can inject/draw faster. I have always used it at the rate of 3/100lb. for 5 days.

This comes from goat 101 on the 3 rd page under antibiotics:

NUFLOR Rx item
    Extra label in goats

300mg/ml of florfenicol
    NOTE:July 2002Temporary halt to production of Banamine & Nuflor
    Banamine, Nuflor, are among the drugs that are temporarily out of production.
    Supplies of Banamine and Nuflor, in the United States will be limited to the stock that distributors have available.
    DOSE at 6mL/100 lbs SC (SQ) every 4 days, or 3.5mL/100 lbs IM in the neck area every 2 days.
    WITHDRAWAL : Approved for beef cattle only, meat withdrawal 38 days following one SC (SQ) injection. For two-dose IM treatment the withdrawal period is 28 days. The FDA has not established a milk discard time, tolerance or safe level for florfenicol in milk.
    Extra label in goats . Goats: 28 days given SQ at 9mg/lb SC every 48 hours. Source - 10-12,2000 Wool & Wattles, AASRP .
    Studies in goats indicate Florfenicol concentrations in milk equal serum concentrations.
    Florfenicol has a broad spectrum of activity against both gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria and is primarily BACTERIOSTATIC. Because of its low protein binding and extensive tissue distribution, florfenicol reaches higher levels in tissue than serum, reaching clinically effective concentrations at sites of infection. Studies on pharmacokinetics have also been conducted in horses, goats and pigs with Nuflor, although there are no label recommendations for these species.
    ADVERSE REACTIONS : Possible temporary decrease in feed and water intake. Diarrhea has been reported in cattle. Local tissue reaction and soreness at IM injection site.
    STORAGE : Store between 2-30 degrees Celsius (36-86 degrees Fahrenheit). Refrigeration is not required. The solution is light yellow to straw colored. Color does not affect potency.
    TIP : Nuflor is oil based, use a 18 or 20 guage needle to avoid extended syringe filling and injection time.
    The FDA on extra-label use Nuflor in the dairy
    Note: Florfenicol belongs to the same antibiotic family as chloramphenicol. Florfenicol is chemically different from chloramphenicol and is not linked to chloramphenicol's human toxicity concerns (bone marrow suppression and aplastic anemia in humans). The FDA prohibited the use of chloramphenicol in all food-producing animals in 1984
    From 10th Central Veterinary Conference Proceedings: Florfenicol is well absorbed from the normal mammary gland in cattle and combined intramammary infusion of 1500 mg (5 ml) into the affected quarter, q12h, for 3 consecutive milkings and parenteral injection of 3 ml/100 lb, IM, q48h is theoretically of benefit for treatment of coliform mastitis.
    top(Florfenicol)

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep its think but I use a 20 ga on my goats and a 18 on cattle...just easier.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

This is the cow dose/lable and it won't fly with goats. Already proven to be very low blood serum levels when given every other day. It needs to be given every day. I use the 3cc/100 # SQ (over the lower rib cage) once a day for no less than 5 days.
    18 ga./ 1" needles are my choice. 20 ga. can be used...but give it very slowly to keep from blowing the needle off lure-slip needles.
    Kaye