is my goat pregnant

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Laney Frye, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Laney Frye

Laney Frye New Member

so, i have a mini fainting for who is very sweet. i also have a mixed breed male, but he is fixed. we have some sheep (one boy) and i doubt it, but is it possible that my goat is pregnant through the sheep? she usually has a big belly, but she was VERY hungry this morning and her stomach is huge. are there any signs (without going to a vet) that will tell me if she’s pregnant? thanks for the help!

Capracreek likes this.
  2. Renee Lottier

Renee Lottier New Member

It's very rare, but it has happened before. However, the resulting pregnancy usually doesn't come to term and if it does, the baby is stillborn. I've never heard of one surviving, anyone else know of one?

Capracreek likes this.

3. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

No, I don't think there is a live sample.

Capracreek likes this.
  4. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

There have been a few who survive, you can find them online. Cute little buggers. Extremely rare though. It would be exciting if it were!

5. TexasGoatman

TexasGoatman New Member

I was thinking about purchasing some Hair Sheep and did a little research about them cross breeding with goats. Yes it most certainly does happen. If it happens with Hair sheep then why not with regular sheep. The info I was reading did not make mention of the offspring survival rate. :oops:

Capracreek likes this.
  6. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

Yep called geep. Most do not survive gestation. Those that do are likely sterile from the little I have read.

Capracreek likes this.
  7. Capracreek

Capracreek New Member

Oh my I guess they would be considered a hybrid and most of them are sterile.