Is my girl in heat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by HollyBearFarm, Aug 21, 2008.

1. HollyBearFarm

HollyBearFarm Guest

I have a wonderful, sweet, docile LaMancha doe who is suddenly downright aggressive. She is in an area with another LaMancha doe and normally they have gotten along splendidly. Today, though, she is chasing her friend around trying to head-butt her and doesn't seem to understand that the other goat doesn't want to play.

Is this what heat looks like? Are they all going to act like this?

Thank you, wise goat-friends, for answering my probably-very-dumb questions. :)

Stacie

2. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Sounds a lot like "goat PMS"! :lol

Seriously, every goat is slightly different when they are in heat. Some of the common signs are aggressive tail wagging, slightly puffy and red below the tail, pacing up and down the fence line, sometimes accompanied by very loud vocalizing, mounting behavior on other does, or other does mounting them. Sometimes they have very strong heats that may last as long as 2 days, and sometimes they have very mild barely detectable heats of only a few hours at a time. If you mark a calendar every time you think she might be in heat, then in a few months time you will see a pattern of the same behavior every plus or minus 21 days, that is what you need to watch for to detect heat cycles on that particular doe, and you will be able to anticipate the next cycle if you are planning a breeding.

3. HollyBearFarm

HollyBearFarm Guest

Thanks Karen. I've been journaling my goatkeeping and I did note yesterday that the times, they are a-changin in the goat pens. Everyone is starting to act a little odd...another doe is mounting everything in sight, and my husband can't even go out there today without being fawned all over.

We'll see what happens in 21 days. I'm only breeding 2 of my 4 girls; the other 2 are being milked through. And I'm okay with not having January kids. :D

4. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

That's what I do too - breed half my milking does each year and milk the others through. And I won't let the does visit the bucks until October because I like March babies the best!