Is my doe a bad mother?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by backyard_farm, Feb 20, 2008.

1. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

one of my does that kidded this week is not allowing her kids to nurse very often and when she does let them nurse, it is not for very long. I am worried that the kids are not getting enough to eat. One of the kids is the one that I posted about having trouble walking and was more calm than the rest. This doe doesn't seem to have an interest in her kids. She doesn't talk to them or come to them when they cry either. She rarely goes to them. She did bond with them the day she gave birth; she was talking to them and cleaned them up and let them nurse. The next day she had no interest in them. Our other doe lets her kids nurse as often and as much as they want and even goes and gets them up to nurse. She talks to them and goes looking for them if they cry.
    So is the first doe a bad mother? I thought I might try to get the kids to take a bottle to supplement the nursing. First I need to get hobbles so I can milk her. She will not let us milk her; I can sneak and milk a little when the kids nurse but that is all. She has lots of milk also, and it is flowing easily.
    Sorry to keep popping up with so many questions, but I have only had goats since October and know next to nothing. And I have one very difficult goat who seems to enjoy giving me a hard time.
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just put a slip knot rope on her legs and tie them down to the milk stand. she probalby won't let you milk because she is hurting. Get her milked out and you may see a change also in her attitude with the babies. Get her also in a small stall with her babies for a bit so she can't really get away from them. But get her milked out

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:yeahthat
    LOL...Sondra beat me to it! Heck I use haystring and hobble them to the milkstand! I don't give them a choice. I AM THE BOSS...keep repeating it. I'd bet you get her milked out and you will see a difference. Think full udder, kids bashing it, yep...would be uncomfortable.
    Kaye

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH boy can I relate to that and it has been 40 years since my last kid.:)

5. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Ok, I will try this and see if it helps. I guess I can understand her being irritable if she is full as I have also had that problem. This doe is also just difficult and sometimes mean to start with ; we have only had trouble with her since we bought her. So I wasn't surprised when she started acting this way. But hopefully in this case it is just her being uncomfortable. Last night my husband tied her legs together, but we didn't think of tying her to the milking stand.
    Thanks again :D
    Belinda

6. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Hope Sondra's and Kaye's suggestion works. It did for me with a first freshener a while back. Also, no matter how vexing the behavior, I never raise my voice, tense, or do anything that would indicate "my goat has been gotten" when I'm trying to get a goat to do something new. Calmness and consistency. Try to build trust as you work on correcting behavior.

7. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I tried to use a rope for a hobble and didn't get it tight enough the first time. I tried again for about 15 minutes and almost got kicked a couple of times but was not able to hobble her. I did get her milked almost all the way while she was letting a kid nurse. I think they have been nursing one side only, I guess the other side was too full. I have been checking every day to make sure the milk is flowing well. After I milked her she laid down; she hasn't been laying around much the last couple of days. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. And I have been trying very hard not to raise my voice or anything like that and I know that will help her attitude toward us.
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

8. Rose

Rose New Member

Animal crackers, Fritos, and raisins will help, too.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

weigh the kids everyday at same time of day and make sure they are gaining weight and getting enough. if you can't milk the dam to feed the babies and they aren't gaining weight then pull them put them on store bought Vit D milk add 1/4 teas baking soda to their bottles and sell the darn doe.

10. coso

coso Guest

Put a bucket under her so she doesn't lay down on you. And remember like Kaye said "You are the Boss" if you don't remedy this behavior it just gets worse.