Is more milk in one udder normal? I assume so, but...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jul 17, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

figure it is best to ask! When I milked Lily this morning (like every morning) her right udder gets down to little piddly squirts and her left udder is still going strong for a few minutes. I assume this is normal, but wanted to check!
    Thanks,
    Sarah

2. Rose

Rose New Member

One udder, two teats. :D

Yes, one side of the udder does better than the other on my Nubian. And, one teat seems to have a larger orifice.

I also had one side the produced differently than the other when I nursed my own children. :biggrin

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I knew that...just came out wrong...kind of like when I was little I told my mom that my left nose was stopped up. Apparently I have 2 noses!!

4. Rose

Rose New Member

I love that! Left nose. ROFL. :lol

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Is she milking more or are you more efficient at milking out of one hand rather than the other? Did she nurse a kid before you got her? Vicki

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I am not sure if it is her or me! lol Yes she was nursing between 4 and 6 kids when I got her. None were hers she kidded with 1 kid, then was sold to a lady who had bottle babies and decided a nurse momma was easier. I couldn't leave her she was so miserable. You couldn't get near her and now she follows me everywhere. She was originally bred by Findley Folley Farms (not sure if Folly is that way) and has been through her breeder and 2 owners before I got her.

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

When I was milking one of my udders always had more milk :blush

:rofl

Patty

8. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

My left hand is much stronger than my right, so I am always having to milk out the right side after the left side has emptied- on all 10 goats that I milk.

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Not sure.. we milk 1 handed... what made sense to me as a nursing mom... LOL

10. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

If you want to know for sure if she has more milk in one side than the other, milk into two buckets keeping each side separate. All of mine are slightly heavier in one side or the other even though there is no visible difference. The 14lb milker I lost had a whole pints difference, yet never looked uneven.

11. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a symptom of some horrific disease! I figured it was normal, but knew if it wasn't I would know today quicker than calling my vet. His tech's know NOTHING and he rarely calls back! So I am in the search for a new vet!

12. NubianSoaps.com

I would imgaine that there is alot more than just a lopsided udder with this poor doe! She is lucky to found you!

Just ask questions of us here, or someone local who wants to help mentor you. Don't be asking vets basic questions on your management, leave them for when you really need them :) They confuse your learning process with less than reliable information. You have to go to them with knowledge, pretty much knowing what you want them to do, and certainly then running passed us meds and dosages :) Vicki

13. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Thanks Vicki!
    I am so glad to have found this site!
    Now I noticed in a couple other posts some questions I have for you and figure rather than take over their threads I would ask in mine...since I pretty much have the answer I was looking for here!

1. You mentioned your microscope goes back to school in Aug. Are you borrowing from a univ or something??? I need to get a microscope, but can't afford one just yet. I want to worm Lily and the 2 I have coming from Lynn, but I don't know what they have....Is it worth it to pay the vet for fecal samples on the three then get Cydectin from my neighbor or Quest when I get wormer for my horses.

2. You have Ridgebacks...awesome!! Gorgeous dogs!

3. I was at TSC yesterday and they have a few bags of techmaster if you haven't already been! So sad I went for wormers and totally forgot them!

Sarah

14. NubianSoaps.com

I would just buy the Cydectin, in fact when you come up if your bring it I will buy half of it from you so you won't have 500ml. We can weigh it out into a mason jar here for me. I would just worm them the weekend after they have been there, unless who you are getting them from hasn't wormed in awhile, than I would worm them the next day.

I don't care who I buy goats from, I always redo vaccination also...I know our TSC carry Bar Vac CD&T and get 6 syringes, follow directions 2cc each then in 21 days 2cc more. Take an ice chest to keep your vaccine cold taking it home, really really important. Pull your meds in the house, then the vaccine will warm some as you take it out to give it, don't take vaccine out to the barn and let the whole bottle get warm. When I am doing major vaccinations out in the barn and will be pitching what is left from the bottle in the trash, I take it out in a coffee cup with ice around it.

Keep your wormer in the fridge, you can then disregard the expirtaion date.

Or yes just get a tube of Quest. From then on sure about every month take in a fecal and have it checked instead of worming. In the beginning after you worm for stress of the move, you rarely need to worm until you want to breed the girls. You won't have worm problems for a couple of years, then it will strike as your pastures and barns become saturated.

No I have adult children, my microscope has been to college off and on for 8 years, and I already promised a friend of one of theirs she could also use mine. I have a nice one that has a carrying case, got it for $100 at a pawn shop across from the hospitals on Fannin...the kids pawn their stuff for summer and spring break! Excellent deals. Some parent spent $800 on this, the tag and recipet were inside under the spongy stuff protecting it, and they pawned it for about $50!

Yes I love my ridgeback, I do not love my husbands ridgebacks :) They really are the true farm dog. vicki

15. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I am getting them from Lynn...think I can wait until the weekend to worm. I may just borrow some Cydectin from my neighbor for this time, then buy a big thing. Where would I buy it? I would be more than happy to split it with you...I doubt I will need that much right?!?! Can I take my fecal to any vet or a goat vet? I know my dog's vet has done fecals and knows livestock, just doesn't treat, or I have Waller Equine where I take my horses (maybe I should fecal them before worming...makes since) For fecals (equine or goat) do you fecal everyone or just one?? I will have to start checking pawn shops, etc for a microscope...then I can come crying to you when I can't figure the fecal thing out from directions online so you can show me! lol

16. NubianSoaps.com

Since you have so many places who run fecals, call them and see who has the ability to use a chambered slide to count numbers of eggs per gram. This will not only tell you what worms you have, but if you have enough eggs to even bother worming. This time of year we don't want to count 300 HC worms...during fall and winter we would let the number hit 3000 before we did any worming.

You want to worm any incoming stock. You want to worm before you breed your goats. You want to worm a doe the day she kids. Waiting on worm burdens to rise isnt' smart these three times in your adults. Vicki

17. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Sarah,

Ginger was wormed & cd&t'ed & bose'ed & lysignin'ed prebreeding... Stella has had no prebreeding stuff yet. I'll have all the dates with me when I bring them.... I put Ginger in with the buck 6/2.

BUT I always when bringing in ANY animal... reworm & revaccinate... it is good practice.

Vickie can advise you on doing this in relationship to when she was bred.... rolling eyes I have 2 breeding dates on her ... blush 6/16 & 6/24 (I have 2 does I have 2 dates on)... I believe she told me when I was bringing in a pregnant goat that cydectin in fine... but no flukacides

18. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

We have 20 acres (about 15 useable - non water or houses) that we plan to rotate the horses, cattle, and goats on. We figure 2 to 3 months per 5 acres, but we will keep an eye on graze level. The goats will have a barn with alfalfa pellets, minerals, and to stay in at night, but will be out with livestock during the day. Does this sound feasible?

Lynn, thanks for the update. I have record sheets that I use that have worming/vaccs/antibiotics/ foot work and breeding info on them. I have one filled out for Ginger and Stella (Daisy as we have a Bella that comes to her name. I could see me calling Stella to the stand and having a donkey come get on!!)

Sarah