Is it possible? & What is it?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Hi! I was reading another's post a few minutes ago and they mentioned in passing that goats must wait to kid until no one is watching, because it happens so often. Is that possible that they can hold off on kidding while you are there? Also, they mentioned the kidding signs...sticky bum...was one of them. What is that? Discharge? Water broke? ???

-Kim

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I dont know about others goats but some of mine are bashful and some are not...I have some that will wait till I come out there...they want the help...

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Some will have goo or sticky or long strings of discharge for days and weeks others will have absolutly nothing Like mine yesterday only clue with her was that she went to the shelter to lay down by herself. Gave me triplets in abt 10 min time.
    as far as holding off till your gone that is just the way it happens most of the time and you miss the whole thing. But don't for a minute think they can by choice hold all that nature back to just wait and fool you.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Oh Kim, they're just trying to get your goat, so to speak :rofl MOST of mine kid when I'm at the barn, it's like they wait for me and go "thank goodness! she's finally here!" I've even had two does kid at the same time when we had company down at the barn.. two sets of twin bucklings :really :sigh
    Stacy

5. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

I don't know about goats but cows, especially in early labor, can stop labor. This usually happens if they are moved or disturbed (including having people hang around to check on them) and I've even seen it happen if it was feeding time LOL.

Trisha

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Oh my. Crazy goats. I guess they do what they want to. Wait...dont' wait....gives you signs until you are blue in the face or give you nothing. :lol

-Kim

7. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Actually this past January was our first kidding here on our farm. I was a nervous wreck and so excited that the babies were arriving... Being that it was so new to us (and many of our friends), we had papparazzi everywhere (not literally, but there were neighbors, friends and family who all came by when they heard she was in labor). There were TOO many people around and she never would deliver. As they all got tired of waiting and left (some were out at the barn, some in the house) and it got down to just me and one neighbor, she finally delivered.

There were three babies, 2 bucklings and a doeling. The doeling was born dead. My local goat mentor/neighbor later told me (she didn't think I needed to hear it that night for obvious reasons) that it was likely my doe had put off her labor too long because of all the people, and that might very well be why the doeling didn't make it.

We have two more does due to deliver the first week of May. I'm not telling ANYBODY when they go into labor (except for a helper).
    Kathy

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sure anything that upsets the normal like storms or loud people will cause havoc but as for the doe waiting on you to leave that is just bunk. IMO

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

well I have one that does though, but I know she does this so I leave her and sneak a peak, If she see's me she holds her breathe and looks innocent. but she can only hold her breath sooo long.

10. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

By nature's design, animals usually go off somewhere to be alone, make their nest, and have their babies. Dairy goats, for the most part, love to have your company, but they don't like strangers, dogs, or anything else out of routine, while they are in labor. Some are just nervous from the start and don't want anybody or anything around. All of us who have birthed children know the excruciating pain involved in giving birth, and these girls take it in stride, silently dealing with the pain like troopers. I think that it is only fair, to have things as quiet and calm as possible for them. Unless visitors were just here when kidding occured, I never have spectators over for the "blessed event".

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I agree with Janie. First off, I don't have kidding "pens" where I lock my does away from the herd. They all give birth in the barn and all the other goats will usually stand a distance away as if respectful of her privacy. They are used to everyone there, including the dogs who they usually nap with.. the company I had down at the barn that day, just happened to be there when the two went into labor, but my friends have been over often, so they could have been used to them there. The only time I ever purposely called someone over was when I was having kidding problems and didn't know what to do.. With us, it's just one big happy family. :)

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I have a kidding pen but I leave the door open so if she wanted to go inside, she could. A little extra privacy for her, I thought would be good. But that is just me. :)

-Kim

13. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Seems to me that most of my goats wait for me to be there for labor. I guess they need hand holding and encouraging words, or something. I've only missed two labors so far, in the last four or five years.

14. I haven't had a doe hold off but of course when it's close I dont allow any one in the barn except my mom and niece. My niece is my helper, she helped with Precious kidding and Nica kidding. She helps with chores so my goats know her. My niece and I took turns watching Nica. :D lol

15. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I used to have a doe who really wanted to be alone when she kidded. She didn't push when I was watching. I would go do something in another part of the goat yard and she'd have a kid. I'd check it and iodine it and she's wait till I walked away to have the next kid. She was a people freindly doe, but just prefered to be alone to kid. Then, there are the goats who will let you see them kid, but watch out - don't come anywhere near them unless you want to be butted and even bitten. My friend had two Boer does like that. I had to help her with them when it came time to help them deliver or to iodine the kids. Needless to say, she sold those girls. Kathie

16. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

labor in people can be disrupted as well. This is why a woman who is contracting well at home will find things slower by the time they get to labor and delivery and take a bit of time to get back to speed OR they will also slow down with teh sdrenaline of the midwife arriving if they are delivering at home.

LeeAnne