Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has experimented with making their own selenium/vit e drench. The oral gel tubes are 40 servings and cost around $8. This is 23.2 mcg selenium and 200 IU of Vit E at a dose once a month with this being the only selenium available to goat. I have been buying a bottle of ionic selenium for around the same price and mixing it myself with vit E. There is apx 620 servings of selenium in each bottle of the ionic selenium. I buy my vit E from puritans pride for about $5.70 for 100 capsules of 400IU. That is 200 doses. Therefore 40 doses are costing me around $1.60. My question is the ionic selenium also has tiny amount of magnesium, chloride and sulfate. Do any of you see any drawbacks to making this concoction and giving it to my girls instead of the gel made for goats?
Thanks,
janice

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Those other items are not going to hurt anything. I think this will work. Are your goats having signs of selenium deficiency? or are you just using this for prevention?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those other items are not going to hurt anything. I think this will work. Are your goats having signs of selenium deficiency? or are you just using this for prevention?
Both. I had one doeling born with a turned leg and a Bo-Se injection and extra Vit E put her right within hours. I also had issues with peeling horns on the kids and extra selenium/vit E cleared this right up, too and it was pretty severe. I've only been using my own mixture for two months, so I am not sure if it is all kosher yet. I am a little concerned on the tiny amount of selenium that a goat is supposed to get every month. A human is supposed to get more everyday than a goat is supposed to get in a month! Thank you for your input,
janice

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Well, keep good records on how much you are giving and the mix you make and all that. A well-documented experiment is always helpful in the goat world where so little is researched.Thanks for sharing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts