Iodine Spray?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by cmharris6002, Jan 3, 2008.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

good question I also dip

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:laughcry I dip! I make a big enough mess with *controlled* dipping...I don't even want to think of what kind of mess I could make with a sprayer! :nooo
    Kaye

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Okay, what the heck are you guys going that you are making a mess dipping? :D I do great at dipping navels with a small amount of iodine in a plastic cup (Dixie or similar) but I'd have iodine everywhere if I used a sprayer. :laughcry Probably not a good thing considering I have an iodine allergy!

Sara

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

sprayed
    then dipped
    going back to spraying

anyone else do hooves as well as navels? I always have...

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Why do you do their hooves too ?

7. OK...i will buck the tend....Heat iron here...i just burn them off. Its the same thing we use on lamb tails...just a clamp that greats really hot real fast....one clamp the little navel just dry out infront of your eyes. I leave about an inch or so left of them that is all. From day one its dry and pruned. That is how I take care of navels.

Ken in MI

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I read early on that the soft soft hooves can be a disease entry point too.. not sure if it is true... but I figured it could not hurt...

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Belive Vicki does all the hooves also and I plan on it this year

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I use an old Iodine bottle that I cut and made a dipping cup out of it. I pour a little iodine in it and dip the naval first, tie it off with some dental floss, snip it off to about 2 inches long, dip again, then I stick each hoof in the iodine, throw the iodine out the door and rinse the cup out and pour a little more in for the next kid.

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We used to spray, but 2 years ago had a case of Navel Joint Ill....my vet said,
    "Dip, Dip, Dip". So we dip.

We also dip feet....and sometimes we are very neat, and other times...a mess. :)

Camille

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We shall all just ignore Ken :) Honestly I would love to come visit!
    I have docked lambs tails before, never thought or heard of using it on umbilicals. Too cool.

I spray feet also. To me saturation is saturation be it sprayed or dipped, same with teat dipping.

But I want to be like Ken and add more shocking management to my arsenol, just the shock value alone is priceless :)
    Disbudding at brith, stapeling ears, singeing udders and now cauterizing navels. Vicki

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

think that would be an added exspense of a special type iron:)

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Just more fluff! :rofl

Sara

p.s.
    Love the idea though Ken!

15. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Vicki.. you do what to udders ???

I have acurling iron will that work ???hehe just kiddin.

Patty

16. To be honest...all the iron looks like the old crimping irons that they use to sell. But, have more of a grip.

The way we started doing that we calved all our first time freshers in 3 weeks. So, that meant ALOT of calves all at once. Well, in one pen they kept sucking on the navels and making them bleed. So, we asked our vet what to do...she said to seperate them...but we had all the hutches full. Then she said I will call you back with an answer...so later that night...she called and said...lets try this, just take the iron and burn the cord up next to the body and that will stop the bleeding. So, we tried and LOVED IT. The iron takes about 3 minutes to heat up...then clamp the cord and its done...no bleeding or anything for them to suck on. After that we started doing it everything on the place....calves...lambs...kids.

But, I think the big thing with my way of doing is....you just HAVE to know our vet. She is about far out there as they come. Has a whole baseball team for kids...her husband is a tree farmer. They milk about 100 cows and about 50 head of beef cattle. With no hired help. Its just something to see...she is ALL for the fast and easy way of doing things.

Ken in MI

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Patty saw it on one of those educational cable shows :) They take a propane torch to the udders to singe the hair off. Really very very cool! vicki

18. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Wow, sure wouldn't want to have a muscle spasm or something.