Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

Introduction

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Theresa 
#1 ·
Well, it seems I put the cart before the goat as I posted a topic without introducing myself. So without futher ado...

Hello all my name is Tamara 44 married no kids and I live in TN where we just moved to are our land last year. We are also pretty new to the state as we have only lived in it 3 years. Some of you do know of me from other lists and groups like Homesteading Today and soap lists and some goat and chicken groups. I do not post often as I am a major reader and most of my questions have been answer as I read. Since I do not own goats yet that means I do not have much to say. :(

I personally have a long indepth history with pet animals. My hubby on the other hand has it with dairy cows and pigs as a kid. Neither of us have much with goats. So I am reading and reading and reading. :crazy :rofl

I have decided after puppy grew up into a monster. She tops out now at 27" tall :O that I had to go with standard dairy goats as oppose to minis like I was thinking. She goes next door to play with the neibors cows and calfs burning off her energy. Anyway my choise because she is gun shy and timid some was for La Manchas as the are a more peacefull breed and quite compare to most. I joined the LM talk list and am in touch with a local breeder that was refered to me. I use my same standard to look at a breeder as I did when I was breeding top line import German Shepherds years ago.

Due to many factors here breeders are getting very limited due to drought and gas being so high when it was this past year. Luckily a few good ones are still around and I was refer to them by others from out of state. Thank You Vicky for that great post way back on what a newbie should look for in a breeder. That helped some as I was thinking of one breeder before I was refered and that post made me take a second look before contacting them. That thread should have been a sticky.

Ok, all for now I am off to read some more. :biggrin

See less See more
#11 ·
Welcome to the forum Tamara, and welcome to the neverending joy of goats. Tammy and Lindsey.

#21 ·
Ah, my bad. Most I know around here have ND or used too before this past year. Drought and work hurt so many that most sold off their herds. There seem to be very few standard breeders left in this state as most went with ND's. Maybe it is just the ones I have run into. Right now I have been intouch with one LM breeder as most of the others have moved out of state or are breeding grades. Which is fine but I do not want grade to start. I remember last year when I started this whole thing I thought of Kinders but there again it was finding them close. Ofcourse I could breed my own but breeding up would be hard as most sire are well away from me. I forgot about AI back then. LOL Used to do it with the dogs but I bet goats is a bit different. Need to look into that more and find out who serivces this area the most.

#22 ·
That's interesting. I don't know of anyone raising ND's in my end of the state. I know a lady near Paducah, Ky who has some. Most of the shows I go to are in Middle of the state.
It seems I saw some at Memphis, don't remember if they were shown or not. I am usually milking or something when others are showing other breeds.
There was one woman who had some locally, not to good of ones, who has sold out. She sold her Nubians also.
Les

#23 ·
Everyone I knew of was from my East Tn homesteaders group. No one was showing as these were all kept as pets or family milkers. Not many of them still have goats as many were hit real hard by high hay prices. Do not know if the one person I do know that had nubians still has them. Kind of lost track with the group this past year. One good thing about our place lots of browse since land was only cleared to put house up and its a small home. From what I gather of many they were on smaller than us acreage and were buying all there feed. We have enough here to grow some and to let browse all the honeysuckel and brambels to there hearts content. That will help us out with not having to buy it all, just to cover them thru winter and supplment the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.