Introduction and Questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by slauxt, Dec 18, 2008.

1. slauxt

slauxt Guest

Hi,
    My name is Sue. Married. I live in central pa. I am new to pygmy goats. But have had sheep and other various animals over the years including some boer kids (they were kung fu goats at 6 months and kept jumping our 5 foot fence and making the neighbors irate) So I had to sell them. Right now we have the pygmy goats..."Mini" and "Furble". We also have 9 sheep, a heifer calf, 2 horses, a shetland stallion with an attitude, a miniature horse and 5 human kids. We recently aquired 2 pygmy goats from a livestock auction. I know I know. Please don't bother telling me how bad they are. We have a soft spot. I joined this forum, because after reading the posts here, I learned a few things, and was hoping someone can give me some more information about 1 of our pygmies. I prefer hearing from people who have "been there, done that" versus the veterinarians around here who have been repeatedly known to say "we dont know, could you bring her into the office tomorrow morning" referring to a laboring 200lb. sheep. I suppose they might be of some help...if we should ever need surgery on one of our animals.
    Ok now for the questions (they all have to do with Furble) and I will try to post a picture. I'm not the greatest at the computer!
    We don't know how old she is. From the look of her udder when we got her a few weeks ago, I concluded she had kidded before. Her one teat is much much larger than the other. I think she looks really "bagged up". And you can see and feel atleast 1 little ball in there moving around (kid or some organ? Its towards the right side, not quite underneath). We are not milking her. Now I was fairly certain that she was pregnant when we got her (this was on 11/24). I have read that she could bag up any time after the 1st month of pregnancy, so I wasn't watching her every 4 hours like I do with the sheep when I know they're due any day. So last Tuesday, she starts just "hollering" at us at 10:45 pm. I go to see what's what, and I notice, this long stringy clear goo coming from her vulva. Well when a sheep does this, and is that bagged, it usually means things are seriously happening. She was walking around "crying the blues, and her tail looked like a piece of licorice when you hold it out by the end. Not straight up, not straight down. She pawed a bit too. She has "hollowed out" also. I can't find tail ligaments for the life of me. So we moved her to a kidding/lambing stall. She had about 2 more strings of that gooey stuff and made a little more noise and then NOTHING! She was chewing her cud awhile, and then she laid down and went to sleep around 4am. She has been eating her hay, grain, and drinking. Her poop and pee are fine too. So I thought maybe she didn't want to kid in the kidding stall. And put her back in her own house and yard. Still nothing. I read that this gooey stuff can happen up to a month before kidding. But then I was reading that when a doe is in heat, she has some clear gooey stuff too. Not having seen said gooey stuff, I don't know the difference. I have looked at the "streaming photos" on jack mauldins website. The stuff coming out of Furble looked just like that. So was she in heat? Do does bag up like that when they're not pregnant? Any estimates on how long to go if she is pregnant? Anything I'm missing here? Just plain :help Please. I really want to do what's best for her. She's already loved like another human kid.
    [​IMG]
    If you can't see the picture properly or there's something wrong with it please let me know how to fix it. Or if you need to see some other angle, or something, please let me know that also.
    Thanks!

Sue

2. Sounds like and looks like she could be close. Hard to tell with the hair, but it looks like her udder is pretty tight.

I have pygmy goats, be sure you are there incase she needs help, with her coming from a sale barn you dont know what goat ended up breeding her and she may need help if it was a buck of a larger breed.

If she start pushing, dont let her push and strain very long before checking things out. Make sure the kid is presented correctly.

Give me a bit, and I'll dig through my photos and post some of Nica before she kidded. :D

3. slauxt

slauxt Guest

Thanks for posting so fast. Glad to hear I'm not crazy :crazy.

4. All of these photos are Nica, few hours from kidding up to kidding.

Laying down-
    [​IMG]

Ligaments are gone.
    [​IMG]

belly has dropped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Layla the day she kidded. Tight udder, long vulva, and its really pink.
    [​IMG]

Layla’s babies... sorry they were too cute not to post. LOL...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might be able to find some of Nica kidding.....

5. Common signs of a goat getting ready to kid is
    They get up and down repeatedly. Some will turn and talk to their belly. They will look like they are staring off into space, or concentrating really hard on something. They will paw the ground, like they are digging to china. They may change attitude, some get very vocal. Some are quiet. Some dont want you there and some will scream their head off if you leave (Nica will, so will delilah)

Signs of possible contractions- Tensing up, if they are laying down, my goats will stretch their back legs out with every contraction. If they are standing up, they kinda hunch up and straighten their back legs.

6. Some people clean the kids off, some let the dams do it. I always help clean the kids, I never had any problems with them not bonding with the kids. I clean the nose/mouth. Let the mothers start cleaning if she's is having another or if I can't clean the kid off but if I can, I try to get the mucous completely cleaned off quickly because we always have them kid in the winter, early spring when its still cold so I want them cleaned and dry quickly. :)

Also you can use anything to clean them off, you can use your bare hand and slid it down the kid to get the goo, or you can use a cloth or paper towel. I use really cheap paper towels to get the goo off, and then I use a towel to dry the kid.

Hope I helped. :)

Here's some kidding photos. :)
    Nica kidding
    [​IMG]

First doeling
    [​IMG]

Second doeling- That is how she landed when she came.
    [​IMG]

Two healthy doelings.
    [​IMG]

7. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Hi Sue. Welcome to the forum! :hi Also, welcome to goats that will drive you crazy because you never know when they will kid. (Well, unless you know when they were bred.) She will probable wait until you are sleeping and then kid so tomorrow when you go out there will be some little babies running around. And every year you will promise yourself that you will keep better notes so that you will have a better idea of when they will kid. Well, there is always one that you are just not sure of! (of course this time you have no way of knowing when she was bred.) But I have had them have some gooey stuff a few days prior to kidding. I think it is like humans loosing the mucus plug. Here's hoping she kids soon so you won't have to worry for long.
    Theresa

8. slauxt

slauxt Guest

Some new info. Been in and out last few hrs. At dinner time, she wouldn't eat fresh hay with anyone else.She was standing with her head in the corner for awhile. No straining or goo though. When mini and the mini horse moved away from the hay,she went and nibbled a bit. Was slow eating grain too. Now she's.sleeping with mini. So I guess being reluctuant to eat isnt a very reliable sign. But you think she is pregnant? That the stringy goo wasn't her going into heat? What's that goo look like? That is "bagged up" for a goat? I know it is for a sheep. Any other reason she could look like that and have had stringy goo? Her vulva looks exactly like the first pic. She doesn't hold her tail up like that anymore though, unless she's peeing, or alarmed. I'm really worried not knowing what size buck she could be bred to. How often should we check on her?

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

How much of that goo did she have? If there was alot, like in that first photo of Nica having her baby, I'd be concerned that she went into labor on Tuesday night and for some reason (too big of kid, mispresentation) she wasn't able to deliver. With her hollering that night and now going off feed, I'd be concerned. It sounds like it would be good to either do a pelvic on her yourself or have a vet check her. Pygmys sometimes have a herd time delivering, especially if she was bred by a large breed buck. My goats have had small strings a week or so before delivering, but when they have the long strings that hang down by the udder and start crying, that's when they are ready to kid. Kathie

10. slauxt

slauxt Guest

She had like 3 strings come out. This happened over a period of like 2 hours. The strings were clear and about the same diameter as worsted weight yarn. The 1st one was about 4 in long. The other 2 were about 2 to 3 in long. This happened on the 8th. We've been checking on her every 4 hours and until last night she was behaving normal. We can still feel and see what appears to be a kid. Although we see and feel movement on the left side too, that doesn't feel quite the same as the right side which is where we think the kid/s are. This morning she was gobbling hay and grain like she usually does.
    Thanks again for all the replies. Also those babies are adorable. Do they all look like that? Been so caught up on Furble I haven't even checked out any pictures of the end product!

11. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Just wanted to say welcome! This is a great place to learn new things! :hi
    Kristin

12. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I believe you can feel babies on the left side and the rumen is on the right side making movement, but maybe if they are far enough along you can feel them on both sides.

Tiffany

13. slauxt

slauxt Guest

Hmm. The goats left 4 babies? I'm pretty sure ruminants rumens are on their left sides atleast I'm sure about cows and sheep. I just looked on some other goat sites and they said the same... Rumen on goats left side. Anyone that can confirm which side?
    Thanks

14. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

oops sorry, got it mixed around

15. slauxt

slauxt Guest

Thanks 4 confirming. Tmfinley, the way I learned to remember 4 sheep was that right and left start with r and l. So do rumen and lamb. Then opposites attract.

16. How's the doe doing today?

Can you get a side view of her, level with her?

Before they kid, they will drop, their sides up by the spine will look very sunken in, and the belly will hang low. It'll appear like she's already had them, unless you look at her level and see her belly. Her udder will get really really tight before kidding to.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and Welcome!!

18. slauxt

slauxt Guest

She's been acting normal. Woofing hay and grain, eating with everyone else, walking around, etc. All normal. Storms coming so I hope she doesn't decide to go tonight. Ill try to post a side picture, gotta go take one first.

19. slauxt

slauxt Guest

Ok its been awhile. Nothing new was happening. Now her udder is like twice as big as last month and today its really shiny. So now I have 2 questions. First her udder it looks like its going to burst that can't happen can it? Second how long before she kids? cause again her udder is huge and the skin is stretched really tight (it doesn't seem to bother her though) I don't see how it can get any bigger and some babies drinking should make things shrink a bit right? I read you shouldn't milk them before thet kid because of the wax plug and the chance of infection if you get that out too soon. Ok that was 3 questions not 2. Oh and she still has that clear discharge not long and stringy but just kind of there if you know what I mean.