INTRO and questions

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by FourMileFarm, Mar 4, 2008.

1. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Hi Everyone!! :D
    This is my first post on this forum - I used to post occasionally before it got changed to what it is now.
    We live in the Texas Hill Country and we have Nubians. We love all the other breeds of goats as well, but financially it makes the most sense for us to stick to the one breed that is most popular in this area.... since we dont have the fencing to keep the right bucks with the right does!!

I have to make a trip to San Antonio Thursday (may God have mercy on my soul!! :help2) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a store where I can buy things like:
    olive oil
    castor oil
    coconut oil
    jojoba oil
    sweet almond oil
    apricot kernel oil
    avocado oil
    and shea butter.

If I HAVE to order online and pay shipping charges, who has the best prices on these oils? I did read the thread with the list of suppliers, but it doesnt say who has the best prices.
    THANKS!
    Rachel

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

talk to Trudy on here for shea butter you can get coconut olive oil and castor oil at any walmart. but most here order oils and stuff from columbus foods. I don't know of a soap supply in San Antonio but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I get all those oils from Columbus. Even with the shipping it's cheaper than anywhere else for me. Welcome to the board!

Kalne

4. Truly

Truly New Member

Hey Rachel, it's Truly, not Trudy. I still have some extra shea butter if you're interested, PM me.

and welcome to the forum.

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Welcome to the forum, I cannot help you with where to get the oils, except to tell you the same thing the others have. Columbus foods...
    Restaurant supply houses will sometimes sell you large amounts of oil... Chemical supply houses will sell you fifiy pound bags of lye..
    Barbara

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Welcome to the soaper's paradise. I get most of my oils from Columbus Foods.

Autumn

7. lynpea

lynpea New Member

Welcome! Got a Sam's or Costco in S.A.? You can get olive oil there. Avacodo, jojoba, apricot kernal may be at a health food store, but they will be pricey. Walmart has been mentioned. Good luck with your hunting.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sorry abt that Lois
    Truly HEY I got the T right :)

9. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Thank you everyone! :p

I already have olive oil, and I just wanted a little of the other oils to be sure I dont mess up my shampoo recipe so bad that I never can make it again!
    BUT, I guess if I really mess that recipe up then I could always use the oils for soap though...

Truly, how much is your shea butter? How much for shipping?

Would someone mind sharing a recipe for a lotion bar with me? I've never made any, but it sounds really GREAT! My husband has a terrible time with cracks in his fingers in the winter.

10. Belle

Belle New Member

There is a nice recipe for lotion bars in the recipe section and something else you might want to try is Bethany's whipped shea. Both are easy to make and work great!

11. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Is whipped shea for dry skin?

I found the recipe in the recipe section - thanks very much! I'm placing an order right now and I cant wait to try it out.

What do you put the lotion bar in? Or is it just like a bar of soap??? :???

12. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yes, whipped shea is good for dry skin.

The lotion bars can be done in a fun molds like the ones in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Or you can put them in twist up tubes - they are like extra large lip balm tubes. You can get these at www.bayousome.com. There are also push up tubes, but I don't like them with my recipe.

13. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

OOOH!! Cute little molds there!
    If you were to use the twist up tubes - how do you get the product in there? Pour it in before it hardens?

And what about the whipped shea butter? What kind of container does that go in?

Thanks for the help - I'd like to make both for my family to try! :D

14. Belle

Belle New Member

For the lotion bars, yes they have to be poured before it hardens.

As for the whipped shea, I just put mine in plastic jars/containers with a lid.
    I'm sure someone else has better suggestions about a particular type of container, sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck! :D