Intro and milk questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by blackthorn, Sep 22, 2008.

1. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hi :biggrin
    I'm new, I live in Australia and have one goat and many (too many some people say :rofl) dairy sheep :lol I'm milking 16 at present and making soap, but I do have some excess milk, particularly when I wean the lambs as I feed them some of the milk in their lambbars, I'm wondering how many of you sell, giveaway etc milk? In what sort of quantities? It's illegal here to sell raw milk for drinking but I can sell it as bath milk for cosmetic use, I'm very careful with my milk, I strain with proper filters, chill immediately, use extra clean containers and always make sure it's icy-cold when transporting, however it's getting to be a big drag having to meet different bath milk customers, usually at a place around 45mins from here and I'm not so sure about how they treat the milk............. :sigh What's your take on milk ethics? Do they have to pickup? Do you tell them about care and handling? Do they listen? Do you take any responsibility for the milk once it's gone? Maybe I'm a worrywart............... :help
    Nessa

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Each state in the U.S. has different laws about raw milk, so there won't be one answer. :help

Some states ban raw milk sales; some allow it if the customers go to the farm with their own containers.

Some folks sell for "soaping" or "pet use," but of course you don't know what your customers are doing with the milk after they leave your driveway. :biggrin

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Welcome to the forum Vanessa, we hope you like it here... As said above, you just can never know what they do with the milk...
    And the laws are probably so different here in the states concerning this, hard to advise you on that matter.. If it really bothers you so much, consider stop selling it and find other uses for it.. cheese for your family maybe???
    Barbara

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hey Nessa ! Welcome to this forum !

Sounds like your milk laws are much like mine here in Alabama.
    At the cost of transportation here now days, there's no way I could haul much milk anywhere without loosing money on it......so folks have to come here to pick up. To be honest with you about it.....I don't sell any to the "open public", but only to folks that I know pretty well, or have a good recommendation on.....just no stranger's in the mix with my operation.
    .....and even then, what they do with there milk when they leave here is their business as far as I'm concered. No way I could monitor what they do with it anyway.
    As far as extras .....I bought a pig and extra laying hens this summer, and any leftovers go straight to them...as it helps cut my cost of feed to them. My pig/now hog, will be going in my freezer in about 2 weeks at the cost of somewhere less than $100 in him in bought feed, including the $40 I paid for him. I'm gonna have something less than 50 cents a pound in some fine eating this Fall and Winter. This was my first time to do a pig like this with extra milk, but if all turns out well, I plan on doing it again next year when the "extras" start to come in.

Again, welcome here...

Whim.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi Vanessa
    Welcome to the forum. Yes it is illegal to sell raw milk here in Texas also for human consumption. So selling for soap and cosmetic use is also the way to go. Everyone has to come here to my place to purchase the milk and they are told to bring an ice chest and keep the milk in the coldest part of their refrigerator until it is used. Some will listen some won't. Those that don't listen usually come twice a week to pick up milk rather thatn just once a week.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have been selling milk illegally here at the farm for over 20 years now. That is the reality with the teeth in the law in Texas.

Many years ago there was only me selling milk in any quatities so my customers would buy it, take it home and freeze it...they would complain it was lumpy when defrosted, and if you whiz it back together in the blender it made it taste bucky faster because of the properties of the milk being so fragile. So I started freezing it here. I sold milk for 8 years to a candy maker in Houston who made Mexican Paralines and Cajeta out of it, she picked her milk up frozen in 3 and 1/2 gallon buckets. Then for customers for several years in 1 gallon zip lock baggies, frozen flat. (Oh how I hated those leaking bags!) Then with the internet we found the 1/2 gallon milk jugs they sell store milk in and started freezing in them. I will have the odd customer now and then, mostly new who will balk about it frozen, so I give them a free 1/2 gallon and they always come back. You could then label the carton for bathe milk and like here what your customer does with the milk afterwards is up to them. I rarely deliver milk, will drop some off to old customers...but really I prefer especially newer customers to come here because it's part of my niche in the market...clean, I sell a little bit of everything, have classes and my goats are beautiful and they bring their kids and see the goats and play with the babies. With the amounts of money made on goatsmilk these days $8 to $15 per gallon the closer you are to Houston they like to see that some of that money is going back into the goats. Also alot of places gather up their milk and take it to markets, even though it is technically illegal, so nobody can see their places.

With the US economy tanking I really don't see the market being able to be sustained like it has been..the sale of family milkers will increase with folks not willing to spend so much of their food dollar on oraganic or purchased at the farm products. The typical family simply can't afford to spend $8 to $15 a gallon on milk. It then becomes a speciality market, which in reality our customers are the high end consumers who will be most affected by the recent collapse of our banking system.

I do hope to have all of my milk in the next years going into my soap and having no milk customers, sending them to Troy and Michelle and the Carlson's. I will simply sell any milk I do have leftover frozen to the deer guys. Vicki

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

V....that's an interesting strategy. As you know, I'm headed into the family milker market myself by crossing Alpines and ND's....and I think you are right about being a good market for them. I just hope these 1st generation mini alpines will be what I'm thinking they will.

....but I have to ask.......if $8 a gallon is gonna be too pricey for milk on most folks, then how do you figure that your gonna be able to sell soap for $4 a bar. Reveal to us some of those well kept secrets :p

Nessa...sorry if I'm muddling your thread a little.....but V. is my E.F. Hutton when it comes to using goat milk to it's fullest potential.

Whim

8. NubianSoaps.com

With milk and selling it locally, it's about anybody within a 2 hour drive from you (with disposable income) being your market audience :) that isn't a fraction of the stores that I have access to via the postal service who have acess to all of the people with disposable income who will pay $6.95 and up for a bar of soap.

The most profit is always to think bigger than out of the box even.

I have a friend who has been looking into a dehydrater, to dehydrate her milk...now that is thinking out of the box :) Vicki

9. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Thanks guys :) I'm also looking into selling house sheep, but it's pretty complicated........as sheep give a lot less milk than goats and people don't listen to me! I tell people to expect less milk the first lactation and that they can expect roughly 50% less milk if they leave the lambs on and separate at night (sheep will not let their milk down when they have contact with their lambs) and they need to be fed well, mostly they ignore all that and ring me to ask why they are only getting a cup. I make soaps but as I'm the only person in my state doing it I get asked what's so good about it anyhow and even when I tell them they tend to be reluctant. I think my mum may kill me if I acquire any more animals........
    Nessa

10. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Oh, I forgot to ask, how many are you milking? I'll be milking 20 next year, that’s a lot of soap! Do you guys find the soap sells well?
    Nessa

11. NubianSoaps.com

I am milking 11 right now, and yep soap sells well. Just remember that your customers are not those in your surrounding area usually, figure out a way of marketing what you have. Visit the soap forum on here, the gals will help you out. vicki