Intoducing new stock to the herd

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Nigilover, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

I am bringing home a 2yr old doe due in 3/14, Sat. What is everyone's preference for bringing a new goat into the herd. Haven't had an outsider for a while, but I know 2 of my does are pretty headstrong with some of the other does in the herd. I have about 15 does in this group of all ages. Do you isolate? This is a reputable breeder--- registered, up to date on vaccines, great pedigree, how would you do this? Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Unless I know the breeder personally for a while, I isolate anything coming in they get their series of CD/T , wormed etc etc and isolated 30 days then as just depending I put a buddy in with them a while so when they go out with the herd they aren't lo man on the totem pole.
    now in the case of BeyBee that I brought home from Vicki's I isolated her right away with a couple buddy's smaller than her so she didn't get butted and had friends and has just be release out with some of the other goats recently and still adjusting, however she will not be put in with my old headstrong milkers until she freshened or she would be beat up. Even tho they are mostly Mini LaManchas.

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

While they are in isolation I also pull blood on them and send it off to test for CAE and CL. If she is bred be careful with what you deworm her with, as you don't want to abort the babies.

4. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

Thanks Sondra. My herd leader is 10yrs old and a sweetie--- still calls the shots though. Mostly I'm worried about my 5yr old-- she is a terrible head butter, not to humans, just to other does. She's due in Feb and is huge but that hasn't slowed her down. I think I'll take my 2 does at the bottom of the pecking order and put with the new one until she kids--- that's a good idea. My new doe will be given a probiotic, herbal wormer, immune stimulant and garlic before we pick her up. ( hope the 7 hour car ride won't be too aromatic, she'll be in a large dog crate in the back of our Expedition! )Thanks for the help!

5. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

Thanks CED-- this is a tested herd so I hadn't planned on doing it again. I'm not familiar with this herbal wormer the breeder uses, but she's had show goats for years and is a big milker so I'm comfortable with her regime. I personally always use panacure on my pregnant does without any trouble.

6. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

My greatest concern would be the agents that cause abotions such as chlamydia, camphylobactor and others. Gestation is the absolute worst time to introduce animals on a bio-security level. Regardless of CAE, CL, etc. status, each herd has it's own immunities. Bringing in naive animals to your immune herd or vice versus opens up a chance of many disease problems at the most inopportune time.
    I am not trying to be a fear monger here but living through an abortion storm is not fun.
    I would quarantine the doe until after she delivers and stops draining fluids.
    Tim

7. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

Yikes Tim, sounds like you've had a terrible experience. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I will be very careful. Thanks

8. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We raise hogs for a living and used to raise sheep also. We had abortion problems when we purchased a new ram late in the breeding season and did not quarantine. The major herd health problems in our swine operation can be traced to introduction of animals also. We take bio-security very seriously because we have healthy herds!
    We do still introduce animals into our herd but are very careful how we do it. There is no way to give them a shot and prepare them for the mixing of herd pathogens.
    Tim