Inspectors were here...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Jan 4, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I didn't see the O/T forum today??? Am posting here because I am too excited not to share.

We got our pasteurizer installed and inspected yesterday. Thumbs up! We had both our local inspector and a state guy out and they seemed impressed. And I'm impressed, too - the set-up is brilliant. ...though a LOT more complicated than I got used to in my kitchen. ;)

We still have a lot of finish work to do in the dairy building, but we're officially dry now, so we have some time. First kids are due in mid/late February. By then we hope to have everything ready to go and all licenses in place.

Soooooooooooo exciting.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations!!
    you have to post more to get into OT forum.:)

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Too cool . Share some pictures when you get a chance.

Patty

4. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Congratulations. What an exciting way to start off the year. So Happy New Year. :D

Wendy

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

So are you haveing a cheese factory? guessing that because of the pasturizer.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What a wonderful feeling!

When you know a moderator or admin, contact them to up your posts. Old forum members especially. Vicki

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Yeah-- my post count is low...we've been busy building a dairy. ;)

It is a cheese building, more than a fluid milk dairy, but we are building to raw milk code just to keep our options open down the line. We got a really cool vat pasteurizer that can double as a cheese vat or giant yogotherm, if we want. It has a 2-22 gallon capacity, so we can stay legal even in late lactation when milk levels are stupidly low. The design of the machine is so incredible. We are just so blown away by it now that we have seen it in person. We'll be practicing using it with water for a while to get the new routine down.

Anyhoo-- I will post some pictures soon. And I'll try to get online more often, though we still have a TON of work to do.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WOW how neat now do we all here get special treatment and samples :)
    just kidding.

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures.

I know how much work it is to build a dairy from scratch. We built our doe barn to Grade A specs a few years ago. It was a ton of work but so worth it in the end. I decided that selling Grade A milk wasn't for me at thins stage in my life but I can always change my mind. ;)

Good luck!

Sara

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh yes send us pictures as you work Please

11. Josie

Josie New Member

Congrats!! That's awsome. I'd love to see pix too. a couple summers ago i worked at a dairy for a while - was in awe of the equipment lol.

12. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Something cheesy is going on here. Unless someone messed with you post count, it looks like she has enough to see it. :D

(Sorry, couldn't help myself! :laughcry)

13. leslieh

leslieh New Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

So, do we get free samples? ;)

Just kidding of course. :biggrin

Leslie

14. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I'll break up a few photos... The first is the steel building we had built to start. It will be half kitchen, then the other half will be milk parlor and a human bathroom.

We (mostly my husband) are doing all interior work ourselves. The second photo is the studs going up. May have to edit and fiddle to get photos up right. Bear with me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

15. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Ok, next is the "bones" of the interior with all plumbing and wiring in, then a photo of the top of our pasteurizer. We have since put in drywall, too - just in the kitchen portion. I'll get photos soon.

The next job is getting the food-grade coating up on the walls and kitting it out with appliances, etc.. After that we'll build our 5 goat concrete milk stand in the other half of the building and then one day we'll finish the bathroom. :)

We plan to have full farm/cheese plant tours starting in March, maybe April, but are always happy to show friends around during construction if any of y'all want to check it out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

16. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Congratulations! It's a huge amount of work, isn't it? Good to go! :yeahthat

17. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

WOO HOO! How wonderful and fun and exciting! Now get back to work! Congrats!

18. KUrby

KUrby New Member

How neat, sounds exciting! Congratulations!!!
    Karen

19. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing.