Injury/bad hoof preventing heat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Jan 3, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

We've had a buck "visiting" our gals for a month. he's bred two of the does right off, but we missed the third does heat by 2 days (which was a blessing because then I'd have 3 does giving birth around the same time!). He is running with them so I suppose the deed could have been done without me knowing, but she usually FREAKS out and is loud as heck when she's in heat (she's a nubian!) With the other does it was over a day each of nuzzling and breeding so I thought sure if something was going on I would catch it.

This is the same doe with the bad hoof. I'm wondering if the bad hoof is keeping her from going into heat.

She is so quiet, but I thought it was the hoof, then again it could be that she's settling cause she's bred.

I guess the only way to really now is to do a blasted PG test - I hate drawing blood because I really stink at it. Oh well, gotta be done.

Bethany

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When intoducing a buck into a pen of does, cycles are meaningless. He will simply bring them in. I doubt very much she will be bred 16 days from when he got there, her normal heat time....bet she came in with her friends. When pen breeding you will have everyone bred in just a few days, thats the pleasure of it. The younger the buck the more straglers, or does who recycle because he simply didn't have enough sperm. But yes blood testing is always best, especially if you are just borrowing him!!! Vicki

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

He's a young un' just 8 months old (not to go on a tangent but the very most gorgeous La Mancha young buck I have ever seen. All apricot, built like a tank, registered dairy lines - won't do me any good since my does are not registerable - but I'm just trying to breed for good milk at this point! Oh I am totally in awe of this boy and can't wait to see the kids he throws!) Stinks enough to do the deed, got him just coming out of his rut, but he is far stinkier than our young buck was last year!

Hmmm, so he could have thrown her into heat early? The other two came into heat the day after he got there and that was just a few days after Capella's 1st heat. I hand bred my big doe with him standing on this little hill so I could be sure he could reach. Last year my does ran with my boer buck. I caught every heat because he was there forever hanging on them and they him. For a good day they were inseperable. My La Mancha's heat was in late october, Capella's heat didn't come until late November, just like this year, so they were bred at different times even with a buck in the pen. But he was raised with them from weaning anyway so maybe they didn't care about him until they went into heat.

I learn so much here. so how long do you think I should wait for the test? I was going to wait until Feb. Probably to be safe I should. Wait and see if anything new and exciting happens after he leaves this weekend. I will miss the little guy! just the sweetest thing - a total people goat! I know he won't stay that way forever, but I really LOVE this buck! Oh and to think she offered to sell him to me when she was cash strapped and I said no, then when I came to my senses the next month she had changed her mind....what a bummer! There I go gushing again! at least she bartered bath and body for Christmas gifts in exchange for buck service...She'll be glad to let me bring Capella to him if I have too though.

Bethany

4. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

If he is a registered LaMancha why not start now upgrading your herd by recording the offspring if they meet LaMancha breed standard? You can record your does as Native On Appearance (NOP). Join the American Dairy Goat Asc. They are the most progressive goat registry available. I am sure that your friend will help you to do this.

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

All of this registering stuff is greek to me. I figured I could not register my kids since thier Mom is not registered and a nubian and he's a lamancha? I'm only familiar with registering dog breeds... His owner has offered me his information, but I didn't bother. So I can register thier kids even though they will be crosses?

Thanks,
    Bethany

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Bethany as long as they are not meat, or Nigieran, than recording them on their purebred sire as 50% is fine. With the breeds you have in your signature, using a LaMancha buck is perfect! Did you get his paperwork when you got him? Now join ADGA, when you get your number back from them, transfer him into your name...then regsiter any of his doelings! Sorry none of his bucklings can be recorded. Vicki

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Vicki-
    I wish he was mine! He's only on loan, but she will gladly give me all his info for recording! I was hoping after having him on loan for a month his owner would think, "oh, I don't miss him at all" and sell him, but noooo she still wants him back - darn it!

But now I will be starting over as we have discussed in another thread so all this is kinda void now.

Bethany