INFO please poisonous plants

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Hi everyone. I've been busy and haven't been posting much. I have family moving back to the farm, and it is a like fruit basket turnover. I am a farmer/livestock raiser. my new brother in law is a hunter. sooo, he is taking part of the pasture land, and wanting to plant red clover and white clover to feed deer during the summer (I think it is too dry here for white clover). Is this okay for cattle/horses/goats to graze on? Any info given tonight before he comes back in the morning and starts planting would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheryl

2. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

thanks Sondra. I knew I could depend on you. I tryed doing a search myself, but didn't find the infor you provided. Now Since he is a hunter and is wanting to attract deer, all I have to do is worry about the meningeial worm or however you spell it. So what do I look for and how to I prevent my goats from getting this worm?

Sheryl

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I think that I have read many times before, that the danger on most of clovers is letting your animals graze on them while the clover is wet with rain/dew.
    Deer worm.....not to sure that you gonna completely be able to avoid that possibility to exist at any time .....lots of deer in Tx, and Al. toooo.

Can give B.I.L. a tip on the clover planting though........If he don't do some soil test, and lime this field until he gets the PH up high (above 7.2), and disc the lime in deep (at least 6 inches) , he will be wasting most of his time and money. Not saying that it want come up and grow some, just saying that deer like clover to be a foot high and sweet. ..........anything less than that, may draw them in occasionally, but most likely they won't eat enough of it to do them any good............and planting it this late, you better hope you guys don't have a drought this summer, or it will die. It just won't be rooted deep enough yet. Perennial clovers start and grow very slow, so don't hold your breath waiting for this stuff to look like anything, or you will be dead.

Whim

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Get a couple LGDs....they won't let the deer near.....course your brother in law wouldn't be to happy..... :lol

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:rofl well I like both of your responses. I told him!!! but he didn't listen, my two dogs who are 1/2 gp chase deer in the pasture at night. There are already deer all over this 72 acres I have been in the pasture at night with a flash light and seen dozens of pairs of eyes! It is mostly let grown over so it is like a wild area in the back, and we have woods. but oh he has to put stuff out for them to eat so he can hunt! I told him he just better know the difference between deer and goats, ya know a brown or tan alpine in deep thicket can look like a deer at a distance! And thanks Whim. I read that white clover has to be in wet areas and this is definately a very dry area. He is planning on fertalizing, and he has disced part of it up, but I was kinda thinking it might not make it even if he planted it now.

So I guess we will wait and see. I am sure not going to give him any pointers on how to make it successful, he will have to find that out on his own. Course there's no telling him anythin...he knows it all!

But thank you for your responses.

Sheryl

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you better get you some of that neon orange and spray your goats when deer season is on