Info on minerals

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I thought this might be helpful for goat owners. This is what has been going on with my horses, lots of thrush problems for a long time, then I got a high copper mineral for my goats, which I in turn also gave my horses, and their thrush is gone. Oddly enough, nobody EVER talks about copper needs in the horse circles the way it is constantly talked about with goats. So getting the goats was good for my horses!

After reading this article, I'm hopeful to find it will help with their white line integrity as their feet grow out, it seems like I have to trim them weekly to keep their feet together. It talks about how to test your pasture/hay and where to learn more about minerals and where you can get the needed minerals to give exactly what your animals need.

http://hoofrehab.com/diet.htm

2. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Thanks, I luckily have not had much trouble with thrush in my horses. It sure is stinky! My farrier suggest washing with bleach and water-twice a day until cleared up. Keeping a dry stall helps too.

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yes, mine are out on pasture 24/7, so it was unusual to have these problems. One of our ponds is orange, I'm pretty sure we have fairly high iron. I had to pick feet and spray daily, and still seemed I would find pockets of yeast and thrush, I was constantly cutting it out, it was driving me nuts. Then suddenly it wasn't a problem anymore, after I got some high copper minerals!

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's common knowledge in cattle out here also, and ironically why the best minerals are always cattle, horse and goat minerals :) Getting my vet on board, considering she is the go to vet for cattle and horses, you would think she could have easier understood the problems I had with the goats. But she went to sheepandgoat univeristy :) Vicki