Infected "bump" on baby's ear

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, May 16, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

One of Cinnamon's babies born Monday (5/12) has a spot about 1/2 inch from the end of her right ear. It looked like a dirty spot, but when I felt of it, it was a lump, size of a pencil eraser. I messed with it, and some pus came out. I washed it out with peroxide and swabbed it out with a q-tip and when I did a chunk came out :help2 . She has a little hole there now - not all the way through, but it looks like all the way to the other side. I put some neosporin on and in it. Is there anything else I should do? And what might have caused it? Just yesterday afternoon and today I have turned Cinnamon and her babies in with the other does and babies. I do have another doe who is an ear biter. Could she have bitten the baby's ear? Do I need to put them all back up for a while?
    Kathy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't use neosporin as is greasy and holds more bacteria flush it out good with peroxide and the furall or just keep it clean ck her temp and then maybe pen g if an infection is brewing. If the other does are attacking the kids then yes I would put them separate.

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Thanks Sondra. I'll check it out again when I head back out this evening. I haven't seen anybody after the babies, but I know Spice is really bossy, and have seen her bite at the other goats from time to time... honestly I don't know why I keep her around sometimes. :nooo She's busy with her own babies right now, though, and doesn't like anyone to get too close to them.

After I posted the question, I wondered if maybe it was a mite or something? I really have no idea what might have caused it, but I'll keep an eye on it. That brings up a related question. How old do the babies have to be before they can be dusted or treated for "bugs." I just put Boss (permethrin) on the girls and Ringo this week, but didn't put anything on the babies because I figure they're too young (and it doesn't look like they have anything anyway - but they might get something...)
    Thanks again,
    Kathy