inducing questions....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

This is Capri ( if the pic works ), she is a tiny nubian/saanen cross, was my first goat ( and since have learned a lot, like about worms and not raising on replacer ). She will be a 3 yr old FF in March ( due the 31st ). She was never supposed to be bred due to her size ( maybe 80lbs - taped her this spring after she was on the road to recovery from worm overload and polio - taped at 71 lbs - this is when the pic is from ), but she had different plans - came home from work one day to find her across the farm yard in with my buck loving on him - it was gross, but cute, well and scary - oh no feelings as well. That was their only meeting, and gives her a 3/31 due date - she is making an udder now, and has a baby belly.

I would like to induce her so the kid(s) don't get any bigger then they need to be, and so i can be there and have the whole day for her as well as have my vet on call. Is this a good idea ? I have read the other posts about doing this, but i just want to know what you all think about my situation - good or bad idea ? Since she is small, will the 2ml lute and 5ml dex still be the same dose for her, or a smaller one ? I have monday the 31st off of work - so would i give her to her on Sunday ( when ? ), or would you reccomend doing it a day early so she kids on Sunday not monday, as i have to go back to work on Tue. ? Is there anything i need to know/remember ?

She is my least valuble goat money wise, but the most dear to me, we have gone through a lot together and i've learned a lot since then - i just want her to be ok. I have no idea how she even held this huge big old buck up for breeding ( he was an alpine about 220lbs ). I planned on her always just being a pet due to her size, and now i'm worried about loosing her.

Anymore info/insight would be great ! Thanks !

2. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so the pic doesn't work, i get a message saying the upload file is full and to contact somebody ???

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You have to put in photobucket or someother online program to get it on here now. or send to me and I'll get it up for you. With your doe if you know the due date then yes I would induce mainly because of the huge buck that was used on her. so I would induce for Sunday as she could go to monday anyway.

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks for the offer Sondra - i emailed her picture to you :+)

So you would give her the shot on Sat. then and then have all day sunday and monday ? That sounds better to me too, as long as it's safe.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

So you won't be home Saturday and Sunday before her due date?

First there isn't anything dangerous about using lute. Simply count back 36 hours from when you want her to kid and give the shot.
    It is going to make no difference in the size of kid if you lute her to kid on her due date :) You won't be home at all before she kids, like that Friday, Sat or Sunday? Each day the kids get bigger and bigger, I would lute her earlier rather than later, but no earlier than 6 days early.

Hopefully the buck is not known for throwing large kids.

Read through some of the posts on presentation, and when she starts pushing get in there and check for presentation of that first kid before she delivers it. Vicki

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:yeahthat
    I lute does that I know are going to have big kids earlier than their due dates by 5 days. Shot is given on day 145. Course Lamanchas, I don't do so no help there.

The 2cc of lute is standard dose... it's not a by "weight or size" dose. You're asking for trouble if you underdose them.
    Kaye

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I will be home Friday after work, Sat, Sun. and Mon. - but i just didn't know if that is when i should do it or not. If it will help her ( she is my main concern ) I will lute her Friday as soon i get home, to have her kid on Sat. - i want the kids to be viable and have a good chance, but shoot, it makes more sense after you explained it to do it earlier. Do i give both the lute and dex at the same time ? IM or subQ ?

How often do does go before 36hrs after giving it to them ? Will her milk still come in properly ?

Thanks !!!

8. NubianSoaps.com

Just a page back or so Sara and Kaye explained all of this thoroughly. Kid her out for Saturday morning. So you will give the shot Thursday evening like at 10 pm for her to kid Staurday morning around 10am. vicki

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Oh i meant to add, i've never heard of GT ( my buck ) throwing large kids from his previous owner, and i just had twins born sired by him out of a FF Alpine doe - i'm new to this, but they are quite a bit smaller then the buckling my Saanen had ( bred to a nubian ), but aren't tiny either, the doe pretty much got them out in 3 good pushes each. So hopefully they won't be predisposed to being large.

I'm very comfortable with birthing and positions due to my horse reproduction experiance and have had to reposition a couple of foals before - granted there is more room to work with horses :+) But i have birthing knowlege/experiance with other species as well - however being new to goats ( 3 kiddings under my belt, two large singles and a set of twins from FF's ) if anything other then getting them out comes up - i'll be calling somebody - hehe, and i've got a few of you all members phone numbers :+)

Thanks !

10. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Vicki - i will go read that thread again, but i just wanted to ask - If i give it to her Thurs. at 10pm, is it safe to assume she will not kid earlier then Sat. ? As i won't be home till about 5pm on Friday and don't want her to go unless i'm there. Thanks !

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

[​IMG]

hope this is the right goat doen't look pg to me.

12. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Yep - thats my little runt - that in early spring after about two weeks after we kicked her out of the house - she spent 2 months in the house as she got polio ( i would have lost her had i not found wonderful people like you all online ), we think maybe because of a worm overload and because i was pretty clueless at the time, so who knows what i did wrong, but she made it, and i totally changed my feeding and herd management, still needs some tweeking, but it's much better then it was.

She has since put more meat on, and as of about one month ago has developed a baby belly, and the beginning of an udder.

13. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks for posting that for me Sondra :+) I can't use photobucket as this is my work computer i'm on.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Not a problem anytime.

15. NubianSoaps.com

There is no way with using the Dex and Lute she will kid before you get home Friday evening. Unless the due date is wrong.

And...when you breed crosses like this, airplane ears are expected, but dang fix their ears after you have dried the kid off! If you put cardboard on both sides, cut into the pattern of an ear, with their ear sandwitched between the cardboard, tape the cardboard to the ear and itself, I use staples...it will make the ear flat, and not folded like that. Just a pet peeve of mine. vicki

16. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Vicki - thanks for all the help :+) I'll have to try the cardboard thing with her kid(s) - i didn't get Capri till she was a few weeks old, i wasn't her breeder so i couldn't have done anything for them. She sure does look funny with my herd though, all of them have Alpine ears ( well and i have one Saanen doe ) - she just doesn't belong, but i love her :+)

How long do you need to leave it on their ears ?

17. NubianSoaps.com

I take them off in about a week, I fix alot of ears that others don't...I just like smooth flat ears :) Vicki