Inducing. Question for those who have successfully done it.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a HUGE Alpine doe due to kid 2-15 (Friday) Friday will be day 151. There is a bad cold front, rain, storms, possible hail and they are hinting about possible snow flurries coming this weekend.

I would really really like her to kid tomorrow (Thursday) when it is in the 60's and sunshine. I have Lutelyse and I have Dex.

Please tell me exactly what to do to make that happen.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I give Lut and Dex... the doe will freshen 29-36 hours later.

You might be too late if you want her to freshen tomorrow. However, she is at her due date so you might luck out and then again she may wait until the time frame and her kids will be born in the stormy weather. ;)

I don't worry much about kidding in bad weather here... after all we live in Minnesota and ALL of our babies are born when it's cold outside and there is tons of snow on the ground! :D

Sara

3. Cotton Eyed Does

How much do you give? This is normally about a 150 pound doe. Right now she is of course lots heavier than that.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Found it... Thanks!!
    #1. RULE: be absolutely sure of your breeding dates. Only hand bred does or AI's. Does that have two breeding dates...they are luted according to vulva,udder development, and tail heads. If I don't feel a doe is really close to kidding...I won't lute her. A doe that is bred and comes back into heat in say 7-10 days.. like a false heat early in the breeding season...she's not luted. Just watched very carefully on day 148-150 from the 1st breeding-she goes past day 153, then she's set up for the next breeding.

Lamanchas.....generally kid early. day 148 or so, but I've only done Alpines,Nubians,Obers,Saanen,Toggs.

Drug doseage- 2cc of Lutelyse and 5cc (of 2mg/ml) of Dexamethasone-IM. I do NOT overdose nor underdose the Lutelyse. The Lute doseage I've used for oh...about 15 yrs., I'm not changing now. Nigerians ? I have no clue. I've only ever done standard size goats.

Day count starts the day after the doe goes out of heat. Example: a doe is in heat, she's bred, she goes out of heat at say 1-2pm in the afternoon...the next day is day 1.

I lute for a Sat. or Sun delivery. Usually because that is the two days when I have lots of work around the farm and nothing planned.

If I want to kid on Sat. I will look at my charts and see who is within a 5 day window- 5 days early and 5 days after a Friday. Friday morning about 9-10:00 am I will give everyone in the window their shots. I don't put them into the kidding pens until that evening. Sat. morning I check everyone for progress before milking/feeding. Continue doing chores/work...checking on them every couple of hrs. My barn is in the center of the farm so I am never more than 200yrd.s from it. I can even sit on the back porch and see into my kidding aisles. Birthing usually starts after 12pm on Sat. The closer they are to their due date...the closer to the 26 hr. from shots, they will start kidding.

I've never had a problem with malpresentations, ringwomb,ect...never had to have a c-section (knock on wood). Only problem I've had was several yrs. ago (before I started feeding correctly near due dates) was slow labors. Oral or injectable calcium solved the problem. The next year-on I've not had the problems.

This is the way I use it. I'd be interested to hear what Sara has to say.
    Kaye

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Syrah had 3 beautiful babies. One big buckling that looks just like his sire, Renoir and 2 beautiful Sundgau doelings. One is a traditional Sundgau and the other has a lot of white on her rear and around her middle. I'll have to post some pictures when I get a chance.

It took her 35 hours from the time I gave the 2 cc Lutalyse and 5 ccs Dex. She started pawing the ground about noon yesterday, but no pushing. Was still walking around eating and acting normal. She would go in the barn sometimes and stand in there and paw the ground, but didn't get down to business until about 10 last night. By 11 she had the 3. They have had 2 bottles, between the 3 of them they have had 32 ounces of Colostrom. Syrah is doing good too. Milked out fine, remembered about jumping up on the milk stand for grain like an old pro. Finally got in the bed about 2:30 this morning, then back up at 6:00.

So glad I got this out of the way before all of this rain comes in. They have backed off of the hints of possible snow flurries and raised the temps for the weekend, but said we could get between 3 and 6 inches of rain with storms and stuff on Saturday.

Now I have a sick little boy to tend to. Our 6 year old came home from school yesterday with a headache (took his processor off... didn't want any sound at all), sore throat, coughing, fever, wouldn't eat supper, went straight to the couch and layed down and took a nap. Luckily I had some Amoxicillin here and some other stuff and he is feeling better this morning, though he had a rough night last night.

Just wanted to let you know the meds worked and we got it over with before the storms. Thanks for ya'lls knowledge!! :biggrin

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Congrats Chris!

I'm so glad that you were able to have your babies born before the bad weather hit. Inducing does is a lifesaver, isn't it?

Sara

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations

8. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Does anyone know if the dosage for Nigerians is the same with the DEX, I want to induce my girls next weekend and don't know the dose for DEX, this will be the first time I have used DEX this year..
    Barbara

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Yep. That worked out just fine. :)