Inducing a first freshener

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by littleman, Mar 12, 2013.

1. littleman

littleman New Member

Hi, So I've been trying to decide what I should do. I have a first freshener due March 31, she was bred on Nov 2, 12. I have to be out of town March 29-31, so I 'm not sure if I should induce her on March 25th or wait and pray she doesn't deliver well I'm gone. She is a Alpine and will be raising her kid/kids. Thank you, Sarah

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would induce, being a first freshener has nothing at all to do with inducing. I simply would not want to be gone while a doe of mine is going to kid. Firstly I would not have a good time worrying but secondly your breed is notorious for large kids. Even if you kidded her out 2 days before, it would let you make sure the kids are up and nursing well, or if you end up with bottle babies, gives you time to find babysitting care for them and someone to milk the doe :)

Lute takes 36 hours in a good IM shot of 2cc.

Welcome to the forum and please fill out your signature, name, area of the country and breeds of goats. Vicki

3. littleman

littleman New Member

Okay Thanks, So 36 hours, then I should give it on Monday or Tuesday, right? Sarah

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just understand it's 36 hours, so give it at night so you aren't up at night delivering :) Vicki

5. littleman

littleman New Member

Thanks I will give it at night time.

6. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Let us know how it works out, Sarah.

7. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

If inducing doesn't matter if they are FF's or not, do you find there's any difference inducing ones that are uddered up vs ones that aren't if they are on the same day bred for example?

8. littleman

littleman New Member

So things have changed and I'm not going to be out of town this coming weekend when my ff is due. My question is should I still lute her to make her go on time/little early or is it better to let her be? Thanks, Sarah

9. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

If it were me and you have no other timing issues, I'd just let her be. However, I would induce if you get to day 152 or day 153 and there are no imminent signs of labor. Those alpine kids get awfully big sometimes. I only do this when I know, for sure, the due date.

10. saanengirl

saanengirl New Member

The one concern I have in inducing first fresheners is sometimes they don't get sufficient udder development if induced. If they already have plenty of udder development, induction is fine. If they don't, be aware that there may be udder development issues if induced.

11. littleman

littleman New Member

Well for now I'll just watch her. She already getting a small udder..

12. fmg

fmg New Member

Sara, do you use dex & lute when you induce, or just lute? I have heard that dex can cause them to not produce very well at the beginning of lactation.

13. saanengirl

saanengirl New Member