Important info for new goat owners.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Dec 16, 2007.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It's a really good idea to have thiamin on hand. It was after vet clinic hours on a Saturday night when my goat got real sick. The thiamin was crucial in saving her. I know the importance of having medications on hand since I live 30 miles from my vet, but learned this after having to call friends and neighbors when I first started breeding goats and one got sick. I read on these forums where a person has a sick goat and then has a hard time getting what they need in a timely manner. It's so much easier to deal with problems if I have the stuff handy.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah because honestly on this end when we start helping everyone with sick kids and you don't have a $7 lactated ringers setup I am exhasperated at you :) There are simply some very basic things to have on hand and we just had a whole thread on it, perhaps we need to bump it up.

Broke?.... than just pick up the bare basics one a month from your vet or feed store. Vicki

3. Little Meadows

Little Meadows New Member

The problem I am running into here and have for the last year is that the vets keep meds close since then they get to bill for more farm calls. At least I can only surmise that the reasons are economic because why shouldn't I have a bottle in thiamine? So if anyone has a source for Rx meds without the Rx I would be very grateful -these vets are holding the meds!

4. NubianSoaps.com

How I handled this was I paid for a visit to meet my vet, talk to her about my herd and the prevention tactics I wanted to use, the vaccines I wondered if I should give and what herd health problems was she seeing in our area. I have such a good relationship with my vet because of our communication that I quite literally can get anything I need. She knows I take responsiblity for what I use and my mistakes. Vets should be leary of clients they don't know well because they can get sued or loose their liscense. Vicki

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay....where's the thread telling us what we should have on hand? We've been extremely fortunate but I know we don't have nearly what all we should and want to work on it.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'm not at all sure which thread that you were refering to, but here is 2 responces that I got when I ran a thread about what emergency meds to have on hand....hope this helps;

If you have the Fortified B Complex. Read the back and see if it has 100mg thiamine. You can use it in polio at the rate of 4.5cc/100#'s.

Oh, geez...It would take a long list to tell what I have on hand. ?
    Main thing is two types of antibiotics-Penn G for minor/broad spectrum for major.(Bio-Mycin,Nuflor, or Naxcel)
    PAIN KILLER-Banamine or Flu-Nix....poking asprin down an already hurting goat is not fun!
    CD Antitoxin- there's nothing that replaces this when you need it!
    Tetanus Antitoxin
    Depending on the season...some things can be "muddled"through until you get to vets...but the things above are very important.
    Kaye

Things I always keep
    Over counter:
    Pen G/ CD Antitoxin/Tetnus Antitoxin/LA200 (off brand)
    probios/therabloat/ liquid CMPK/7% iodine/
    Vet RX:
    BoSe
    I really need to stock up on RX items so am looking forward to answers here.

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I used to have a harder time getting bottles of a couple things, Banamine being one of them. Then, one night I had a sick goat and called the vet after hours. He told me a couple of meds to give the goat. I had the antibiotic, but not the banamine. I told him that I needed a bottle to have at home so I could follow his instructions. The next day, I picked one up at his office. I guess he decided he'd rather sell me the bottles than have to come in to the office after hours.

8. NubianSoaps.com

I bumped it up to the top and stickied it for awhile. Vicki

9. Little Meadows

Little Meadows New Member

I have tried this twice with 2 of the 3 large animal vets in the closest practice to no avail - they will not release meds that they themselves aren't administering. Haven't tried the after hours idea but since they run a 24 hr. clinic I don't know if it will have the desired effect. So no-one here is getting their meds from a non-Rx source lilke Canada, UK or Au?

10. NubianSoaps.com

You can bring that type of subject up on Off Topic or email an admin or mod and ask. We keep some stuff off the forum becuase it's just plain illegal and our forum is open to the public to read. We can't ruin services that we rely on so much. Vicki

11. Melissa

Melissa New Member

really OT for this post but, are CIDR's still only approved for cows?

-Melissa

12. Kalne

Kalne New Member

My vet has been pretty good so far. I've only had to call in for a couple things. Bo-se was the first. Once I explained what I was wanting to use it for, no prob. Then one day I was in with my dog (first and only 'real' visit). After I paid I got to talking with the vet about my goats and was able to get banamine and something else I can't recall. After that I wished I had done as Vicki suggested...just made an appt. to sit and talk with him and get what I needed it.

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

They are illegal to import into the US, so far. Another OT or moderator pm.
    Please read the topic: Johnes info center posted in OT. There is a survey to fill out and in mine I included CIDRs. There are several folks working on getting this resolved and making them legal.
    Kaye