I'm playing chemist again

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Caprine Beings, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

:biggrin. Since my experiment with the safflower oil I hadn't thought of anything else to do. And now I am playing with Dragons blood. For those not acquianted Dragons blood is a resin expressed from a Rattan Palm. It has various alternate remedies however I am trying to capture the beautiful color with the nice scent of real dragons blood.I have so far diffused some in oil, which went extremely well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will say that at just 1/4 an ounce crushed resin does give some smell which isn't really strong, hoping that during the curing process the lye will help with this. I like the color but I think it needs to have a bit more added.

One thing I should note to other alchemists is this when inhaled alot it will give you a headache. So when preparing it I do recommend using an overhead fan or if your really weird use a gas mask, the later not necessary.

So, once I get my experiments done I will let you all know how they went. Tammy

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

That is a very pretty color. Thanks for sharing you experiments.

Autumn

3. Whitney

Whitney Member

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

your way more can't spell it and not in dictionary but any you work alot harder than I ever would :) pretty color

5. Caprine Beings

I have a mental disorder called obsessive soapitis. Theres always something fun to play with. My one friend calls me tenatious...if that is the word your looking for. I just like working on cool ways to add to the soap and with the amount of raisins/granolas in our area I feel it is worth more to my sales to incorporate some different strategies. Oh yah and I LOVE to make soap!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope ambitious is the word I was trying to spell :) but I like your obsessive soapitis which thankfully I don't have. Course I make no money off my soap either.

7. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

:yeahthat very intresting.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Really nice Dragons Blood scent is deep and dark and thick, like excellent quality pathoulli. I have a question into a company that makes absolutes and distills, to see why dragons blood resin isn't made into 'organic' essential oils. I have the feeling like many things that this is one of those FO's that smells like what the product it is named after is precieved to smell like, not what it actually is.

I can't wait to get mine now to try! Vicki

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Very interesting and very pretty color..
    Barbara

10. Caprine Beings

1 oz Dragons Blood diffused in 128 oz oil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like this proportion better. There is more scent (slight woody floral), but not much...and yes Vicki you are right, not what your used to with FO. However there is alot of color so hopefully the lye won't burn it off.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Can you smell from the resin that if it was more concentrated it would be stronger scented? Vicki

12. Caprine Beings

Until there is heat you can't smell anything. The lady at the store says she puts her powdered resin in water on a candle burner to get the scent. But once the heat is gone it goes back to a resinous state. That is wht I wanted to disperse it in oil for soaping. Tammy

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you need to try it in alcohol also

14. Caprine Beings

Yes, or ether, that is yet another experiment. Here is an interesting site I found.

http://www.mdidea.com/products/proper/proper027.html#04

This site has the chemical components. If it can withstand the alcohol and ether and maintain its color it should withstand the soaping processes as it is...I am hoping. Then on to the other experiments. It will be very interesting to do all these experiments.

15. Caprine Beings

So for those who participated in my Dragons Blood Resin experiment I want to give you a big THANK YOU.
    I know it took supplies and time to make your batches:). I am happy with the turn out. A very nice experiment indeed.

1. Did not scent the soap.
    2. Did not color the soap. :(
    3. Did not matter what process was used.
    4. Dragons Blood has a neutralizing effect on odors.

Mishaels' bar and Autumns bar turned out exactly the same. Mishael used CP w/shea and Autumn used HP w/shea. I used CP with homeprocessed safflower. All are great bars! They all lather the same to me.

Mishael, Autumn, and Sondra, what are your thoughts on this experiment?

Vicki, can you give a critique on the N-ODOR bar I sent you?

I will be experimenting this summer with Henna, and who knows what else. Tammy

16. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I like the bar..I had about 20 of them and called them "Sensitive". Nobody wanted to buy an unscented bar but my sister bought one for her FIL for Christmas and he is now going to buy every bar I have-Hah! They have a very nice texture.
    Also Tammy, I didnt' use shea..but palm.

17. Caprine Beings

Sorry! I thought it was shea, have long since lost the wrapper ;) So I might be wrong about Autumns as well. Tammy

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WEll of course I can't read so in mine which none of you have yet :) I also used DB FO and it is a nice bar will see if I can't get it sent to you this next week.

19. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

Ok...so 1oz of DB resin in 128oz of oil. How much of this oil would you use in a WM size batch?