I'm on Test!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I'm officially on test! I went and tested another group member and had my herd tested this weekend. Things are starting to make more sense to me now, and I'm looking forward to having the records. Only 4 does milking so far.

A question for those of you on test- What kind of SCC numbers do you like to see, and what raises a red flag for you in that department?

2. Well...I like to see SCC below the 200 mark. That means you are getting the full genetic volume of milk out of them. I dont raise an eyebrow till they are above 500. But, with you just starting out...get a baseline and then just try to lower it from there.

Ken in MO

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations

4. Leo

Leo New Member

Congrats! I can't wait to put my does on test.
    Megan

5. susie

susie New Member

Mishael-
    What does being on test involve? ( what type of equipment do you need, and what kinds of information will you get?) Does it take alot of time?

Thanks,
    Susie

6. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Remember I am a newbie...!

I am on group test so once a month I go and test someone else in the group, and once a month someone comes and tests me. Equipment needed is just a 1 oz dipper and a scale. Monthly fee's are payed to the lab for testing butterfat, protein and they do a somatic cell count. That info and milk weights go on the goats record. The lactation is estimated based on the info collected each month.

7. susie

susie New Member

got it!

How expensive is it?
    Just in case someday...

thanks,
    Susie

8. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Congrats!! I just went on test this month also. Learning curve for me!

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

That's awesome...would love to do it myself but don't have a group, the energy, or the time this year...