I'm not sure what this is.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

My goat April kidded on Saturday afternoon, one doeling.

Today I noticed her right eye is weeping. More than just a few tears, the whole cheek area is wet. It doesn't look swollen, but she isn't holding it wide open.

The eye looks a little irritated, but no injury. If it was me I'd just put Visine in my eye. For a goat, I'm not sure what to do.

I've never seen Pink Eye, so I could only guess that it may be that. If it is, she is just getting it now. I read on other posts to put LA200 in the eye.

I'm looking for input and suggestions.

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I would go ahead and treat for pink eye, you can put any antibiotic in the eye, just draw up in syringe and flush the eye.. I personally use the teramycin eye ointment that comes in a small tube... farm stores have this.. If this is pink eye, you should not delay, it can get bad..
    Barbara

3. Truly

Truly New Member

Thanx Barbara, I will get the ointment too.

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Keep an eye on all other goats, Pinkeye can spread thru the herd fast and if not treated they can go blind, flies help spread pinkeye.. One particular kind of pink eye is associated with chamylidia and can cause abortions in your herd..
    Sometimes they also get little pieces of hay, stickers from weeds in their eyes that can cause it to weep and get red.. I take my does out in good light (out of barn) and open eyes and look over real good, be careful if pinkeye, you can get it.. wear gloves and wash hands- clothes etc...
    Barbara

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If it's as windy where you live as it is here, she may just have an irritated eye from something blowing into it. I know my goats sometimes have that problem. It would still be a good idea to use the Terramycin ointment in case it is pinkeye or infected from blowing debris.
    Congratulations on the doeling. Which doe is April's dam? Is her udder an improvement over her dam? I'm liking what I'm seeing in my yearlings out of Gabriel so far. Two kidded this month. Kathie

6. Truly

Truly New Member

April is out of Laurel. Her udder is still very small. I'm only getting 1/2 lb per milking and I have to use my handpump milker as it's hard to get out. I'll probably have to wait a couple of weeks to have an answer about improvement. I did like Laurels udder so I hope April's udder is an improvement, that'll be great.

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My Gabriel does are pretty easy to milk. I don't know how much they are giving as they have bucklings on them. Their production should improve after they are fresh longer and be even better as a two year old. Laurel came from my heaviest milking line. Her granddam and dam gave about 2 gallons a day. Her half sister's daughter, Diamond is milking well as a two year old. Diamond is feeding twins and always has milk to spare. Kathie