I'm curious to know....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

While i'm waiting for kids and checking my poor doe a million times and bugging you all with questions, i thought of something that has me wondering.

I'm used to horses and foaling horses out. With their milk, you can most of the time get an idea ( if you don't have a date ) on when they are ready to foal - by the color and consistancy of their milk. I was wondering if any of this is true with goats. With horses it usually starts out clear and watery, and as they get closer to foaling it changes.

My girl Carmen i noticed yesterday had some what looked like dried yellow colostrum on one of her teats - she doesn't have a huge udder so i wouldn't think she is leaking, she must have just layed down the right way to express some i'm thinking. Anyways i checked it out, as i'm so very scared of anything going wrong, and thats what seems to be in there, thick, yellow milk - looks good ( besides being so yellow - yuck :+)

That also got me wondering, for the horses, we have a foaling predicter kit that uses .6 ml of milk to test for levels of cations in the colostrum which in turn is supposed to tell you if they will foal within 12 hours - would this work on goats ? Sure would be nice if somebody invented something like that for them :+)

A curious mind just wants to know :+) Thanks !

2. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"Sure would be nice if somebody invented something like that for them :+)"

Or for people! LOL

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm also wondering, if they have those home pregnancy tests for people where you just have to pee on a stick, why don't they make them for goats? That would be alot simpler than having to draw blood and then mail it to a lab.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep would be nice but so far NO nothing to test goats.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Actually they are talking about a home use pregnancy detector for goats. And as long as you have a known not bred control goat and really good timeing, you can test with predict a foal on goats.

Goats have different things in their blood and milk, that isn't picked up on human pregnancy tests.

But yes, colostrum in the udder is a sure sign that she will kid, in 1 day to 1 weeks, maybe more in older does :) Vicki

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

we just look for "wax" on the horse udder. never even heard of the "predict a foal". sounds neat though!

-Melissa

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

We watch for wax as well as many other signs, but the kit is nice to use, i've used it twice on mares and both times it worked.

Vicki - are you saying that the kit may work with goats ? You mix .6 ml colostrum with the "solution" then dip the strip in and take it out and watch for color change. Would it be safe to at least have a little fun and try it ?

I'd love a home preg. test for goats, that would be so nice. They have the home test blood test kit for horses which i've used, and it was fairly easy and was spot on about a pregnacy, but a urine test would be awsome.

8. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Heck--I say try it for fun and let us know if it works! I've used those before but I had forgotten all about them.

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Well i tried it last night - took a few drops of colostrum to make .6 ml - boy is it thick, sticky and yellow - is that really what those kids are going to drink ? Anyways, i did my test and when i dipped the strip all the boxes turned right away - which if this was a mare would mean she is most likely to foal within 6 hours, if all but one changes color, she will foal in 12 or less hours. But no kids as of this morning :+(

Her due date is tomorrow though, so hopefully soon :+)

10. Ashley

Ashley New Member

When my doe kidded I thought something was wrong lol. Her colostrum was just like sweetened condensed milk. I squirted out a couple globs to make sure everything was working ok. Then the babies went to it and it got to flowing much better.