I'm confused

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Jul 23, 2008.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

My milkers have done a flip flop on me with this heat like it is. I am getting more milk in the evenings than I am in the mornings......as much as a pound more on one doe.

I have never seen it happen like this before, so I have no idea what's different. No change in feed, hay, water.....I mean nothing in the last 3 months. My girls always have more milk in the mornings.......Can you give me some idea why this has changed in the last few days.?
    About all that's changed is that we were in the low 90's up 'til this week, and now we've been bumping 100 about everyday.

Thanks for any idea's

Whim

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Perhaps the hurricane and changes in barometric pressure etc. Makes animals do weird things. I just saw a flock of sea birds flying north and I am hours from the coast..

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

never thought about it, but looking... some of my does give more in the AM... and some give more in the evening....

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Just guessing...but it could be the heat has reversed their browsing habits.?? Eating in the cool or the night and laying up in the shade during the day.

I wish I could see well enough in the dark to get my chores done...and lay up under the A/C during the day! Oh,wait...I'm already doing that! Those little "hat lights" are to die for! Yeah, not a real fashion statement...but they work! :laughcry
    Kaye

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

You know what........I think I have it. Since this weather has been getting hotter, I've been going out there 2 or 3 times a day and giving them fresh cool water. I haven't been paying much attention, but I bet they are drinking much more water during the daytime hours since I've started doing this.
    I have noticed that when I milk in the mornings lately that my water buckets are still almost full from being filled the evening before.
    By George....I think I may have it :duh

......but I'm sure they will think up something next week to throw my rhythm off again.

Whim

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Hey.. that was MY guess Whim!!
    Mine to have more milk... I figured it was the water heat thing. Takes a while to pool in the milk... hence the time lag.

7. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Ours goes back and forth. We milk 9 goats AM and PM. Some days, they give more in the AM, some days they give more in the PM. Varies by as much as 1 quart-3/4 gallon difference with all 9 together. Then some days, like this morning, they give more than normal. Maybe the weather, or barometric pressure, who knows. Maybe the water. I am going to have to try a fresh water experiment. You got me curious now about the cold water several times a day thing. ;)

Tara

8. coso

coso Guest

HMM, Mine have been giving more in the mornings. I just figured with the cooler nights they didn't have heat stress on them and it was causing this.

9. Just to be ornery here but are you sure their not dippin' in the juice? :biggrin
    I couldn't help it Whim. Tammy

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""""HMM, Mine have been giving more in the mornings. I just figured with the cooler nights they didn't have heat stress on them and it was causing this. """"

Chris....mine have always milked more in the mornings, and your reason is what I used also.
    Well......they must have heard me talking about them. I had exactly the same amount of milk this morning as I had yesterday evening. :crazy

Tammy....I don't know about the goats a dipping, but my pig sure has been. I dumped some wine that didn't turn out well in the slop bucket yesterday morning.....I don't think it helped him gain any weight, but it sure seemed to settle his nerves...... Just what I need.....a drunk pig.

Whim

11. :rofl TOO Funny! At least he was a happy pig! Tammy

12. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

We got the same amount we usually do this morning, but I had to go out to the shed and drag all of them through the pouring rain to the milk room! :mad. I had to go out 9 times. Hopefully we will do good tonight with the cooler weather today, but they don't graze in rainy weather, so we will see. I love rain, just wish it would hit when I didn't have to go milk and do chores!

Tara

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Whim, you're just marinating him from the inside out! Kinda' like some watermelons I saw one time with IV's hooked up to them! Sugar water being injected slowly...or maybe it was 100 proof ? Hmmm...can't seem to remember after the 1st few bites.
    Kaye

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Funny you should mention watermelons....it was watermelon wine that I poured in the slop bucket. Way to dry for my taste buds, but "Ole Chops" didn't seem to mind it at all.
    Come to think of it, Chops don't cull much of anything these days.

....and I do think it is the water thing now. My girls are drinking about 3 more gallons of water during the day, than they are at night...so I guess it just stands to reason that they have more moisture to work with. I just assumed that all the extra water was turning into pee during the day.

Hey Kaye....if I ever post on here that I'm measuring how much a doe pee's in a day, will you please call my wife and tell her to give me a good slap......like V says....some things are just over the top.

Whim

15. Chaty

Chaty New Member

My girls milk more in the mornings than in the evenings also...