If you want to make wood loaf molds...

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by kidsngarden, Dec 11, 2007.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

For those of use who don't use MM (I didn't know there were so many on this board!) I've copied a reply to one of the PM's I got about plans for a mold..These are not pretty, they are not rocket science - just functional. There is no lid - I use flattened boxes if I want to cover it. I line them with freezer paper...Each mold holds about 8 cups if you fill nearly to the top (I soap with a 33% lye solution generally and it is about 45 oz of oils.

There's really not much to see picture wise, just a basic plywood box. My dimensions on the INSIDE are 2.5 inches tall, 3.5 inches wide and 13 inches long. If I cut 1/2 inch off on either end (the aren't always pretty on the ends because of little creases from where the freezer paper is folded gift wrap style) I get 11 bars of soap. If I had to do it again I would make the molds 14 inches long to make an even dozen.
    When my hubby made them he made the bottom piece 3.5 x 13. Then the sides where 3x13 and the ends were 4.5x 3 using 1/2 inch plywood. Nail the sides to the outside edge of the bottom first, tack on the ends and line them up so everything is square (if it's not square you may have issues getting soap out if it is narrower at the top) then nail the ends on. Really simple. I then made up a template to cut freezer paper to line it with. let the freezer paper overlap the sides by 1 1/2 -2 inches so you have something to pull the soap out with and it's pretty easy to get out.

Sondra's idea is good too, but may be more expensive that just buying some plywood and finishing nails...
    Bethany

2. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

That's a great idea Bethany. Hubby made mine from 1x12 inch shelving and ripped them with the skill saw.. they were a little off.. well.. a lot but it was the thought that counts right?
    I made more... and bought 1x4 in fir, then used scrap pieces of plywood for the bottoms.. makes almost a perfect square. Not sure what the deminsions are.. but you can make 3 or 4 in a matter of minutes.
    Mine holds 88 oz of oil.. and I get 21 bars.. at least 4.5 ounces each.
    Cuts pretty good in a miter box also.

Rett

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Glad to hear that yours are working for you too! I'm also glad you posted this because I realized I had DOUBLED my ounces of oils for my mold in the directions! I've corrected it now...45 oz of oils per mold...

Bethany