If I wanted gluten-free goats...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by XCricketX, Feb 24, 2008.

1. XCricketX

XCricketX New Member

We are all highly sensitive to gluten and soy and cow's milk, and my son is sensitive to corn products.

I later found that my daughter was having a reaction to soy-fed chicken's eggs. Then I discovered that the by-products of animals fed with these things caused us problems.

So far the goat milk hasn't caused us any problems... but just in case, what would be a good feed substitute for oats? Wheat, barley and rye is out for us too unfortunately.

Rice, millet, dried crushed beans? I dunno...

So far I just have them on alfalfa, hay, and a 12% blue ribbon

I'm gonna put them on BOSS... and what is in calf manna?

I want to make sure they are getting what they need, but want to go gluten-free eventually.

Thanks all for the ideas!

Cricket

2. Cricket,

If corn, soybean, and gluten is out of the question. Then you are left with VERY few choices. Since you have taken out most of the high protiens and carbs from the diet. You can get by without them...but production is going to suffer big time. I know some people that are getting by on just alfalfa products, but they also have a high cost mineral that they keep out for the goats.

It really just depends on the production that you would like out of the goats. Really, if low production is fine with ya...then go with the New Zealand style of farming. The animals just eat out in the pasture...grass mostly. But, with dairy cattle you take a kick in the mid section with production. The US cow avg right at 22K of milk a year, NZ cattle....oh about 6 to 7K a year. So...over to goats...the avg makes about 1800 pounds of milk....with a NZ style of feeding...you will get about 600 to 700 pounds(about a 1/3 of gallon a day).

Ken in MO

3. XCricketX

XCricketX New Member

Hmmm... that's good to know!

What about the highest protein grain Quinoa? I know it's expensive... but it has more protein than any other grain.

I guess I would have to figure out if it was ok for goats, then figure out how I was going to afford it and get it in bulk! LOL!

Thanks for the help! ^_^

Cricket

4. Cricket,

Quinoa only has about 12 to 18% protien. Not, really that high since Soybean meal is at 44% protien. That is just a little higher than corn at 9%, so with the price that I pulled up. To feed an animal the amount they need....it will cost ya roughly...Hope your sitting down...$8.50 a day. Take that over a year....$3100 a year per head. That is just for a milker...add in the kids and raising them....say you are lucky and get 2 doelings....that brings it up to about $7300. That figures out to be right at $34.75 a gallon for milk....BEFORE it is extacted from the udder. And that is not including alfalfa at $160 a ton.

Ken in MO

5. XCricketX

XCricketX New Member

Ahhh... I looked it up. Apparently, Quinoa being the highest was a myth I've been told. I guess I should have looked it up before believing and spouting. :nooo

Well, soybean is definitely out for us. So.. how do you add more protein without having protein foods to choose from?

I am going to pick up some Onyx Now mineral soon. What is in calf manna?

So... what if I did Alfalfa pellets, Free-fed Hay, BOSS, Onyx mineral... then what would I need and have to choose from?

Thanks again!

Cricket

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Oats don't have gluten. The only problem with them is they may be processed on equipment wheat was processed on, at least that's a usual worry in the human food industry. Being whole grains I don't know if it would matter much.

Oats do have a property similar to gluten, that some people who are gluten intolerant will still react to though.

This is going to sound dumb, but what about peanuts or something? Can they have peanuts? Or some kind of nut. :blush2

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK calf mana is out as it has soy I think.
    I would feed alfalfa pellets free choice
    fro grain on the stand whole race horse oats and BOSS
    I also use dry beet pulp

8. XCricketX

XCricketX New Member

Yes... I had heard that about the Oats too... but we are so sensitive to gluten, that we just avoid the possible infraction.
    That's how we became sensitive to soy... because we went on it when the cow's milk started bothering us. Lo and behold... 2 months later, soy sensitivities started! UGH!

You know... maybe we could do a type of nut or legume like garbonzo bean meal?

Very good thoughts!!! Thank you all so much for the ideas!

Cricket

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Sondra,
    what is the carb or protein content of beet pulp, does anyone know...???
    Barbara

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've studied nutrition in college and worked in a place where I had to prepare meals with food sensitivities in mind. Soy contains estrogens, so I think that is why your daughter was affected by the eggs. I don't think feeding whole oats and barley to your goats will affect their milk. I sell milk to customers with health issues and food sensitivities. They have not had any reactions to the goat milk. If you have access to buy organic animal feed, this would be best. Goats are sensitive to certain foods and this is why I haven't experimented on them with alternative grains. I would think if you feed whole oats, barley, BOSS and alfalfa, you and the goats should be healthy. Kathie

11. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

What about pea pellets? Just as a side note though, my niece has celiac disease and has no problem with the goats milk. My sister keeps a family milker and feeds normal grains.

12. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

I know from experience that milk goats won't do very well on pasture alone. They need alfalfa (or possibly clover hay). In your case, I would make sure they had hay and pellets available to them as the basis of their diets and then give them a grain to balance their calc/phos ratios.
    We are able to give the goats a feed based on buck wheat and barley groats here, with a small percentage of horse oats, field peas, boss. No corn or soy or molasses is in my ration. This is a bit different than what other people here do but the concept is the same. It's just whole grains, no by-products and molasses. Other feeds that might help you would be rice bran and beet pulp, boss and other cereal hays like oat, rye or teff. To find these hays you may need to contact a forage farmer, get on a hay list, find some alternative farmers in your area, or contact your university.
    There was a huge thread about a similar situation on one of the rawdairy yahoo lists about a year ago, but I can't remember how the person resolved her situation or what she ended up doing. I wonder if anyone here would remember that?

13. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

hmmm. My 6 yr.old son is celiac and has multiple food allergies. He reacted only minimally to the goat milk according to bloodwork, so that is what we use now. I feed the does whole oats/barley/corn on the stand and he has never reacted to the milk with symptoms. I would try whole oats and either boss, or an oil like others do on here for added fat. I kept one milker corn-free always for my younger son who had corn sensitivities for a long time.