If a doe was aborting...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MysticHollowGoats, Nov 26, 2007.

1. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

and was only 37 days into her her pregnancy, what would you expect to see.

I have doe that was bred on Oct. 20th, her next heat date came and went without any signs of being in heat. This girl always screams bloody murder for 3 days when in heat. So I had her down as confirmed pregnant, well yesterday she starts all her usual "I'm in heat" signs. Me thinking that SOME how I may have missed her last heat and she was actually still open, she was issued some supervised date time with Mr. Bo Jangles.
    This morning I go down to feed and I noticed she has a string of bloody mucus coming out of her, I cleaned her off then took her temp and she was normal @ 102.7 . Just went down again to walk there yard to see if I could find anything she might have expelled and found nothing but she did have a bit more bloody discharge. So I'm thinking she is having a miscarrage but thought I would ask some more experienced people as I have only had goats for a year and a half now. This is my first time dealing with this type of situation. :/

2. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I don't think you will see much. At this stage of pregnancy you are most likely seeing a wet tail.
    Sorry this hapend to you. It is still not too late to bred her again.

3. Melissa

Melissa New Member

this is exactly what I expect if a doe was aborting at about a month along. sorry.

-Melissa

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Watch this doe very carefully for a return to heat in about 21 days. She may or may not settle on this breeding.
    Kaye

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Does having abortions act exactly like they are in heat, in fact bucks can't tell the difference between abortion, heat or the fluid of a doe who is going to kid. Why I cringe when bucks are ran with does all the time. Just leave her be, rebreed her next heat...I would just put her in with the buck since heats are harder and harder to detect the closer you get into the season ending. Vicki

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:crazy Boy, is this an understatement!!! I've got nose prints on my kitchen window from watching for the least amount of tail wags right now! I would have missed a doe I kept back for a buck collection if I hadn't been expecting her to come in...though she managed to wait until 2 days after the collection. :mad I HATE LUTELYSE!! :mad
    Kaye

7. coso

coso Guest

Kaye, You need to get you a pair of binoculars, that way you wouldn't have to keep cleaning your windows. :biggrin

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin I DO have binoculars so I can tell which blasted brown/white doe it is! From a distance, unless they have udders swinging...they look alike! :crazy
    Kaye

9. MysticHollowGoats

Well we have no worries on if she will come back in to heat or not now. We had our first and hopefully only dog attack early this morning. :sniffle I guess the smell of blood brought him (nieghbors dog) to the goats. We can now bring my total of goats from 7 down to 5 possibly 4. My herd queen Angie...she was my only lamancha and our family milk doe . She was to torn up and had to be put down Then there was Annabelle one of the first goat we bought, she was only 6 weeks old when we brought her home. She was not registered, she was our pet ...was alive but died shortly from shock :sniffle Amy is the doe that helped with the dilivery of the first babies born on our farm, she is fighting right now with many puncture wounds around her neck, her right cheek gone and a 3 inch laseration just under her chin. We had the vet come and help us patch her up, he also gave her a shot of Nuflor and one with Banamine, cortizone (sp) and something else was in there but I for life of me can not remember nor can I read his writing. It has not been a good day on our little farm :down The dog has been put down...this was my daughters best friends dog so it is a hard situation.

10. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Tonya I'm so sorry. That must have been an awful day for you and your family. :(

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Oh man!! I am so sorry. :down

12. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

It is never easy to deal with situations like this especially if you are friends with the dog owners. Sorry for your losses.

13. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Oh my heavens I am so sorry. sending hugs and prayers your way..

14. MysticHollowGoats

Thank you everyone for the kind words and prayers. I have been praying all day for Amy to ward off any infection. She has been drinking water with mine and a syringes help..I can get her to drink about 8ml (about once an hour) at a time but she just can't swallow after that. Her neck is really hurting, she is keeping her head proped up on the wall. Also got her to eat a couple animal crackers but she has no interest in alfalfa pellets or hay.

How long does the banamine last. In the heat of the moment I didn't think to ask for more and the vet will be out of town until thursday. Whats everyones take on giving ibuprofen to goats. I have been reading its ok but I have never done it soo....

15. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

16. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

With that kind of pain...about 12 hrs. With the extent of her injuries, she would be one that I would give it to every 12 hrs. for a couple of days.
    Ibuprofen ??? don't have a clue. do you have a horse friend or goat friend you could buy a few cc's from? Most horse people keep banamine for colics.
    Kaye

17. Whitney

Whitney New Member

So sorry to read this. :(

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Can you get the banamine from the vet, and also some lactated ringers to give her liquids subq? No way will you get enough liquids in her with a syringe. About 20 minutes after the banamine...1cc per 100 pounds, I would offer her a hotish bucket of molassas water, the pain will have subsided at least enough for her to get two good drinks a day this way. She needs like a gallon of water a day! She can't heal if she is dehydrated. Vicki

19. MysticHollowGoats

Updates are being are being added to the "Updates for Amy and question" thread