ideas why doe is not bred?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jami, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Jami

Jami New Member

I have a Nubian doe that will be 2 in march, she has been in the buck since June. I just blood tested her and she is still open, any ideas on why this could be? I have seen her in heat before, but it was before the buck was put in and right when he was first put in.

2. Has the buck successfully bred other does?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

has she ever had kids? are you sure she isn't a free martin?

4. Jami

Jami New Member

the buck has sired kids before, she has not and no she is not a freemartin.

5. Have you checked her to make sure she isn't a freemartin, or were you told she wasn't? How do you know that she's definately not a freemartin?

6. ali923

ali923 New Member

I had a doe that was 2 and I had never seen her come in heat but one time, she was bred that one time, didn't settle so I kept her around one more breeding season and she never came in since that one time. We took her to the auction. Can you test a goat to see if it is a free martin?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Most does who are reproductively challenged have small teats, compared to a doe their own age their teats are usually very immature. The also do not have a normal vulva when compared to a normal doe, have some Bucky or crazy behavior, and if you insert anything (the pencil test) into the vagina you can usually feel or see a small penis. At necropsy most either are true hermaphrodites with a penis in the vagina, have a vagina that goes nowhere, or have no uterus. They come into heat, are bred but no kids because no eggs are fertilized....or with a vagina that is a box, they have tremendous amounts of semen all over their rear and tail, because the buck doesn't really penetrate and the semen blows back at him.

Also leaving does to freshen as true 2 year olds can give you very fat, especially Nubian's, who then seem to carry on year after year with problems with cystic ovaries and harder to get them bred because of the amount of fat around their ovaries and uterus. Even if you thin them down, they still carry the fat on the interior of their body. Vicki

8. Jami

Jami New Member

Yes I have checked the doe and she is not a free martin or a hermaphrodite. She is also not a fat doe either, she is in really good shape, and my plan wasn't to wait to breed her this late but the buck I bought last fall turned out to be sterile, so I didn't get her bred last winter.

9. How you know she is not a freemartin? The finger test just tests to see if she has a cervix. That is all...but they can be freemartins also and have no ovaries.

U can set her up on a sync program just like cattle. That should knock her into heat. If she does not take to that...best to just get rid of her. Since you are controlling all her reproductive hormones then. There is no reason but, something is funky inside. Then, there is also the way you can make them keep a gestation but, that is off label, so will have to find out from someone else on that one.

Ken

10. ali923

ali923 New Member

I did not wait for her to get bred till she was two, the first time she was bred she was almost one, and certainly had the weight for it. But she didn't settle and never came back in. This year she was two, and yes, the fat thing was there.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes I have checked the doe and she is not a free martin or a hermaphrodite.

Jami what all have you done with your doe to check her?

Vicki

12. Jami

Jami New Member

Well I checked her out to start off with but to be sure I had the vet check her today he said she was fine. I am going to give a shot of lute tomorrow and see what happens I guess.

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

HOW and WHAT did you do to check her? HOW and WHAT did your vet do to check her?

Sara