Ideas on Minimizing Transport Stress

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MG_loves_Toggs, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MG_loves_Toggs

MG_loves_Toggs New Member

Hello All,

This weekend I'll be bringing a mature buck from Texas to his new home in Indiana. I'd like to make the transition as smooth as possible. Has anyone done this before? Anyone have any ideas on what I could do? Should I take preventative measures for respiratory health or parasites since he'll be moving to a wetter, colder environment?

I'm planning on keeping his feed the same and doing probiotics. He'll most likely have a fecal done and be wormed shortly after arrival. I had thought about using antibiotics, but I'm hesitant to do so because I don't want to throw off his rumen bugs....

Any ideas/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

2. lorit

lorit Senior Member

Thanx for the timely question - I am sending three goats on a transport next week and have been wondering the same. As of now, all are good on fecals and current on anything they need. One doe is (hopefully) pregnant - will be just over three weeks at time of moving. Figured bo-se prior to leaving my place was a basic start but looking forward to hearing any other advice. :)

3. LittleBits

LittleBits New Member

They should be wormed and have a cocci treatment a few days prior to leaving. Give any booster shots they need a bit in advance too. Probios before leaving is good too.

For the cocci treatment Baycox works really good, it has to be used at 1cc per 5lbs, BUT it is a treat once and they are good to go. Treating for cocci before moving goats is a good idea because stress causes a cocci bloom, and the goat can get sick, get the runs etc. So treating before you leave is good :)

I wouldnt give him antibiotics when you are hauling him, because treating when they arent sick is a bit pointless, but do give antibiotics if he starts getting sick!

4. MG_loves_Toggs

MG_loves_Toggs New Member

Thanks so much!! Great ideas.

5. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

However...there is a long acting 5 day antibiotic that works wonders to keep respitory illnesses away, caused by stress of transport. Also keeps away shipping fever. You can use excel or exceed, shot in the fat base of the ear. I have shipped to Texas and California, where the animal going to California went to Texas first and then to California. They all arrived fine with no problems. I have the buck home now that went to California, he is going strong.
    Tam

6. swgoats

swgoats Active Member

I moved my entire herd from Texas to Indiana in Nov two years ago. They were completely fine. They benefited for the improved hay available in IN. I kept them in our barn. They had plenty of time to upgrade their winter coats. I think it's better to have them in a trailer or back of a pickup, somewhere they get fresh air. I'm concerned about long distance transports where they are in the car with the humans in air condition and heating.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. Xtra

Xtra New Member

Do you want to be treating a newly bred doe for Cocci AND de-worming them in the first 21 days (or so) of gestation? Is BAYCOX tested/proven SAFE for pregnant/newly bred does?

8. PrairieTrail45

PrairieTrail45 New Member

When I bought some goats one time from Oklahoma and was hauling them back to Arizona the owner gave them all a shot of vitamin B to help boost their immune systems. I also pen new goats separate in their own space to settle in before introducing them to the herd.

I think on a bred doe, I would run a fecal and worm accordingly. With the stress of hauling and then being wormed there would be a higher chance of her slipping the kids so I would want to minimize stress as much as possible.

I wouldn't use the Baycox on a pregnant doe or any doe that is lactating, no research or info on withdrawal times and I wouldn't want to chance it.