I think Old Molly has gone dry.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have been weighing the doeling and she has been growing but lately I noticed every time she sees her Mom she runs and hits both teats one after the other, back and forth. Only a couple of seconds on each one.
    I have not found milk in them even in the AM except for a tablespoon or two.

I started suplimenting a bottle two days ago. It was not hard at all to get the baby to take it.
    Sometimes she only drinks 4 to 6 OZ and sometimes she takes 12 oz.
    I am giving her a bottle now, three times a day. She does not drink much in the AM so Molly still has a little milk but hardly any.

WHY????

Molly's temp is still a little low in the AM after a cool night.
    It always goes up to normal later in the day.
    She does not eat when she is cold. She is still a slow eater.
    She does browse though.

Gave her another B12 complex shot and two doses of CMPK yesterday and am giving her Vitamin paste and probios every day. Also they all have minerals and soda available at all times.
    If she is making no milk she should not be needing the CMPK should she?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

One of the first signs of calcium def. is no milk or a slack udder when it should be full (no kids nursing). Keep on with the CMPK on this doe and see if it makes a difference. Hate to say it...but the doeling really needs to be a bottle baby. This doe has had so many calcium issues that she's, for some reason, is not metabalizing it. At her age and with one kid on her...she should be able to feed it.
    Kaye

3. Corky

Corky New Member

Kaye,
    I agree but.... I have no place to keep this kid away from it's Mom.
    I keep it in the goat pen alone all day as it is while Molly goes to pasture with the other goats and their kids. I have thought of trying to find teat tape and tape Molly up but I haven't found any yet.
    I am on the third bottle of CMPK. I will just keep plugging along with her till she comes out of this.
    She acts like she feels just fine. She is shiny and ready to go to pasture every morning.
    Still not right yet though.
    I will keep filling the doeling with bottled milk so she will not bother Molly so much till I find that teat tape.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

get some of the surgical tape at the drug store or super glue the teat. or make her a harness that has a udder cover.

5. Corky

Corky New Member

By golly, I think I will put a bra on her! :biggrin

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I just use paper tape.

7. Corky

Corky New Member

Well, I did it and I was so proud. Then I let the kid in and sh promptly got the teats out.
    DANG!
    Back to the drawing board. :/

8. Corky

Corky New Member

I finally put Molly in the stall alone while I thought about it some more. Stormy is running with the other goats but they are all with their Moms and she is alone in the play yard. Poor little thing. :(

9. Corky

Corky New Member

I got some sergical tape and taped her up.
    I gave Stormy Rain bottles all day.
    I checked her udder when she came in from the pasture ans she has a lot of milk so I took the tape off and let Stormy nurse for a little while then taped them back up.
    I did this for two days. Then as she was making a lot more milk I took the tape off and left it off but continued to offer bottles to Stormy. She always took some but only emptied the middle of the day one because Mom was not there to feed her.

I bought a tube of CMPK because the calcium in the stuff I have been giving her is only 10%.
    The tube is 46%
    I had never given this before and have no idea about the dose.
    I put it in the plunger and stuck it in her mout and pumped it to get it started.
    OOPS! That stuff comes out easy! Suddenly she was foaming at the mouth with paste squirting out the sides and dripping to the ground. :rofl
    Last night I just put a squirt of it in a cup and mixed it with the regular stuff.
    This AM I squirted one click (which is about two or three inches of the paste into her mouth and then gave her the 30cc of the liquid stuff to take the burn out of her mouth.

I took her temp this morning. It was 102. :biggrin

Next, I bought her some equine senior horse feed for added calories as she is very thin. She loves it!
    I only offered a little bit in the palm of my hand and then put about a third of a cup in her feed and she was eating it as I left the barn.
    We may be on the upswing here! I may give her the paste till this tube is gone. Is that going to be too much at a small strip at a time?

10. Corky

Corky New Member

I forgot to say she is wearing the sweater again as she was shivering the other morning with a temp of 100.8.

It was only 36 this morning with a normal temp. :biggrin

We also brought all the goats hot water to drink this morning.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Because it burns the inside of her mouth.
    You REALLY need to get some injectable CMPK for this doe. And Corky, in all honesty, I'd have to think long and hard on re-breeding this doe.
    :sigh This from someone who says, "No pets, everything must carry it's weight." :?
    Kaye

12. Corky

Corky New Member

I almost bought injectable yesterday.
    I didn't know how to do that. I don't know how much or anything.

I have no intention of breeding her ever again.

I really should not have done it this time.
    I sorta let myself get talked into it.
    I really wanted another Molly to keep to take her place.
    This little doe is marked just like her but it is not a black sundgau like she is.
    She is a frosted sundgau. She may turn out to be gray.
    She is staying though and Molly is not being bred again.