I sure need advice on buckling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I could use some advice here on my little buckling.
    Problem : I went to do supper chores and my little 6 week old little mini nubian buckling was crying in pain. He is not bloated or anything. When I picked him up he did alot of crying. I put him down on the floor and he started pawing at the floor then he tried to lay down and cried doing that and he kept one hind leg stretched out. he is in alot of pain, I can tell. :sniffle

He is still sucking from his mom and he eats hay,not eating hardly any grain a all yet.He also gets lots of exercise. The only thing different is this new hay that is green and full of different weeds. Could it be U.C. ?

PS, Also meant to say that his belly and sides are very hard feeling but not bloated.
    Wendy

2. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Entero is my guess. Corn and grass do it quicker for me than anything. Do you have the antitoxin? One thing for sure, if I am wrong the antitoxin will not hurt him.

Jolene

3. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

No I do not have any antitoxin. So you think the new hay might be it then

Wendy

4. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I don't know about the hay. You may want to think about adding the antitoxin to your medicine chest. With luck you will never need it but if you do need it you will have it on hand.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

IN the mean time if entro is the possibility and kinda sounds like it with the stretching. since you don't have CD antitoxin I would syring a mixture of baking soda and water. also pepto bismal/ malox/malanta and probios to coat the stomach and give some pen g orally .
    and of course if you suspect UC then check that all out massage and checking the pissle giving AC etc etc etc. Take his temp make sure he is drinking and peeing freely

6. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Ok, I was out watching him and he was trying to nurse and it seems also like he can't open his mouth.
    He is breathing heavily now.He is very stiff. Could he have white muscle.

Wendy

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Has he been banded or dehorned ? CD/t shot ? Tetnaus ???

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

1 cc per 40lbs of bo-se is what I give my guys and girls

9. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

OK
    Just gave him Selenium-E. his horn were done 2 weeks ago and everything has been fine.
    Wendy

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes does sound like tetanus. Vicki

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Go to goatkeeping 101 and look for info on tetnaus. He needs to be treated asap if your gonna save him. Start calling you need tetnaus antitoxin.

12. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I,ve been trying, if I find some how much do I give him.

Wendy

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

1 bottle of tetnus antitoxin every day for 3 days and pen g every 6 hrs the first day then every 12 hrs for 10 days and hope for the best!! very very serious and you will have to sq fluids until he can suck again get him in the house under 24 hr supervision or put him down now. JUST ASK ME HOW I KNOW Need to make a sling also as it hurts them to lay and you have to take turns in the sling and laying turning them over every 30 min when laying so they don't get pneumonia on top of it. As there isn't much of anyway you can prop them up for easy breathing.
    Don't look for much if any improvement for 7 to 10 days and he will get worse before better.

by the way I sent you a pm

14. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I called the vet , and he said a penicillin for pneumonia will help if that is all I have. So we gave him 1cc per the 15 lbs and he said to repeat daily if he makes it. His front legs bend but not his back ones and his neck is stiff and no sucking. Gave the shot about 2 hours ago. Breathing is very labored. I don't think he Will make it.I'm devastated.He bleats in pain every so often. :sniffle :sniffle

Wendy

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you don't have the drugs or can't get them the mercifull thing to do is put him down. Sorry. Vicki

16. old dominion

old dominion New Member

This is the reason I keep everything possible in my med chest. You just never know what is going to happen. I had this exact thing happen to me years ago. No reason to my knowledge why other than fate. I still keep tetanus antitoxin in the house. Some of the happiest days in my house are when I throw out meds I have not had to use. If this kid has tetanus, and it sounds like he does, listen to the group as it is the kindest thing to do. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the correct decisions.

Jolene

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Forgot you have to give dex and banamine also for swelling and pain. and yes unless this is a buck you were planning on keeping in tact I certainly would put him down he can't live without all the meds and will be in great pain.

18. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

and get a new vet

penicillin for tetanus? that is disgusting

19. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Oh I wish. The doctors rotate at our vets so we don't know who is in from one day to the next. They never seen to have the same day rotation.

Sondra,just talked to the vet and he will give me most of the stuff. Won't give me tetanu antitoxin for 3 days. Oh well. No lactate ringers either,some other kind of fluid that I am suppose to use sub-q. He says all i really need is the penicillin. Go figure. But at least he was nice enough to give me most of it without meeting with me.I guess that's a plus.

Wendy

20. Sondra

Sondra New Member

any sq fluids is better than none.
    Pen G is what I used LeeAnne per my VET what do you use??