I need help.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tytgl, Jan 8, 2008.

1. tytgl

tytgl New Member

I am new to this board and am about to buy some goats. We are building a goat house now. We feed our cows soybean pellets along with hay and wondered if this was suitable for goats as well. We are also planning on a loose mineral feeder. What is best to put in these? We haven't decided on the type of goat to purchase yet. My 2 boys ages 8 & 9 will be primarily responsible for the goats. We might eventually milk them also. Is there a certain breed that is more gentle than others? Any advice would be appreciated. We don't know alot about goats but would like to do it right. Thank You for your help.
    TYTGL

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome to the forum. Go to your profile and put in your area of the country and also add a signature so we can call you something :)

Let us help you before you purchase. Don't be in a rush. First get their home and fencing built.

Yes soybean pellets and hay are perfect. You will have to have bucks on a different diet or simply add ammonium chloride to their diet since soybeans and hay are high in phosphrous, it will cause them to get stones. Do you use a loose mineral for your cattle? I use Blue Bonnet Tech master complete, found at most TSC, they are for cattle, goats and horses. Someone here will live in your area and be able to help you with that.

Don't purchase anything until you know what CAE and CL is. IF you know you want to milk one day think about going dairy. Will the boys want to do 4H and show? Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and WELCOME!!
    I know nothing abt soybean pellets so no help from me. But do agree with everything Vicki said above. Do make sure you build a good goat fence because if there is a way out they will find it. :)

4. tytgl

tytgl New Member

We already have our fence. We used hog wire. It seems strong, but we are used to cattle. We use a special mixture of mineral's our local feed mill makes for our cattle. They probably have something for goats too. We have thought about showing goats and got some info from our local 4H. We will probably start small with 2-4 bred does and add a buck later.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well in my opinion LaMancha's are the most lovable quiet goats out there. but I dearly love my Nubians and my husband has a thing abt no ears. The nubians are just as lovable but some what louder or should say some of them are alot louder:) 4H tend to go more with the meat goats I think but sure wouldn't swear to it.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

hog wire? is that like cattle panel? solid wire type thing that requires a bolt cutter to cut? Cattle Panels work good.. Field type roll fence only works good if you have a Large large fenced area with nothing of interest on the other side. If there would be a lovely tree in the fence line they will stand on the fence to help balance while they reach the leaves and then after mashing the fence down good which may take awhile, they hop over to the other side and make sure they get all those leaves also.. and then while they are over there they do have to investigate to make sure there are no other fruit trees, or rose bushes in the area. Having said that though, we've never really had any major problems keeping them fenced in we have stock panels, and electric pasture HT. Welcome to the board

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

WOW ! I've been working to get somebody else from AL. on this board.....so this is a pleasent surprise for me this morning. Welcome.
    The hog wire will pose some problems in goats with horns....so go hornless, or you will be spending a lot of time getting your goats heads un-hung from it.....It works like a catfish in a gill net, they stick their head through and then can't get it back out.
    If I were going pet/dairy, then I would consider Nigerian Dwarfs as a good starter goat. Mine seem to do very well in our climate down here, and so far mine have been very hardy. There are really 2 types of these dwarfs being bred out there....so be careful that you get a good dairy strand that has good teat length. There are some good ND (dairy) breeders on this board, so I would pick their brains a bit for some reccomended bloodlines/breeders.
    A couple of ND doe's will most likely keep you in plenty of milk if you choose to milk.
    Showing ND's in AL. is a little tuff, because we just don't have established them down here yet.......Nubians rule AL. for now......and probably always will.
    As I have a vested interest in keeping dairy goats going in my home state, I would be happy to see you get started off in the right direction.....
    You have got a good start by finding this forum.......There are folks on here that know a goat as good or better than anybody anywhere.......PLEASE let us help you not make the same mistakes that others make when getting started off right in goats. PLEASE ask questions, even if you think it sounds dumb.....Folks on here love helping beginner's get started off right, so please don't hesitate to ask what you need to.
    Your neighbor, Whim.

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I was going to say you need to get in touch with Whimdiddle. Nigerian Dwarfs would probably work fine with the hog wire if you dehorn them and they are smaller and easier to be handled by little ones and you can milk them. Bet he could fix you up this spring with a few.

Welcome to the board. :hi

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hmmmmm, Whim as your first mentor!? :) LOL!!!! At least you will have a blast learning from him! Love you Whim! Vicki

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

A note on the ND and I love them to death have some of my own. You can show ND anywhere there is a ADGA or and AGS show as long as they are registered with either or both registries. Find a club in your area so you know what shows are available.

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

" Hmmmmm, Whim as your first mentor!? V ."

:rofl........and all this time I thought that V. had a dry sense of humor....that's about the funniest thing that I've ever read on here.
    TRUTH--- I get Lots of help from the folks on here or my goats would be dead.

I really don't know yet what this years crop will be like.......I'm doing an east coast bred buck over them TX. bred gal's. Heirloom has some nice doe's and doelings on the ground over there where I bought him, but they were about all east coast breedings. Barbara V. says I'm in a bit of a crap shoot, but that she thought that this herdsire would do good here. Either way, only one of my doe's have ever been bred to a buck of even close to this calibre, so I don't think there is even a chance that I'm backing up. We did breed the Hill Country buck back to 2 doe's that were bred by him last year, and the kids turned out very good, so at least I have hopes for some good kids.......
    I do have some contacts with very good ND's now....so if I don't have anything here, We will sure do our best to find some good ones if that's what you go with. HMMMMM , I also know a few of those nubian breeders around here also......they're kinda like Santa Claus...they're everywhere man !

12. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Ask away, cause the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked! Oh, a sense of humor is also valuable with goats and whim!

Ooooo...whim, I ain't touching that Vicki, one! ;)
    Kaye

13. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Welcome!!! So good to have you here.
    Yep.. Whim is right.. Nubian do rule. Even in MS.

If I can help.. just holler!!

Rett