I made a mess of a batch!

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Amanda Lee, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I know what I did wrong. My goat milk had thawed out too much when I added my lye. I had it in a crockery bowl that was sitting in a ice water sink. I thought that would be cold enough. When I added the lye it started to smoke or steam up. Scared me! I keep stirring, plus added more ice to the water, and it seemed all the milk clappered.

This is also the batch that I stirred by hand for 45 minutes. So it never blended like it would have if I had been using a stick blender.

I made this batch on the 9th and it still has not dried on top. It is like there is a layer of oily clumpy fats on top of the soap.

What can I do with this batch? thanks Amanda Lee

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Make laundry soap.

Sara

3. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Sara,
    I have never made laundry soap. How do I do that? please don't laugh at me... Amanda

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Hey, I won't laugh. :)

I make mine differently than some on this forum. I don't want mine powdery - I save a step and make it easier on my machine and septic by doing it this way:

I shred the soap and put it in a SS pot on the stove, add water to more than cover the shreds. Say half a pot of shreds and not quite as much water. Start heating, cook it down and add Borax (I use anywhere from 1-2 cups depending on amount of shreds I have).

Nothing is set in stone. I don't have an exact recipe (measurements). When it cools some I add a scent of my choice and store in a plastic bucket. I use about a 1/4 -1/2 cup per load. Your clothes will be so clean and so soft!

Sara

5. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

That sounds easy! thanks

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Or shred add some milk and heat stir like heck and muck into molds for what they call twice milled soap I do this all the time with my mistakes.

7. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Sondra, I think it would be easier to make laundry soap, than to beat it into molds. Thanks for the suggestion :D

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Probably but I sure like that soap

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I like liquid laundry soap too. I add B. soda ( same $10 bag sodium bicarb as the goats), borax, grapefruit seed extract, and a few drops EO.