I learned to pull blood today!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

:biggrin I am soooo excited. I took 5 of my girls to a wonderful vet who does a lot of goats. She is about an hour and a half a way, but the only goat vet that I've been able to find in my area. I wanted my CAE tests, and a mineral test on a young doe. She pulled the first test, and let me do the rest! Wow, that is really not hard at all. Much easier I think than giving shots. I didn't think I could ever do such a thing, but I came home afterward and got blood samples on the two does I couldn't fit in the truck. I had my son help me and they really were not stressed at all. I tried REALLY hard to get a sample on my buck, but try as I might, with all those new neck muscles and swelling in that area, I could not for the life of me find a vein. Anybody know of a better way to pull blood on a buck in rut?

I got poop samples of the horses and goats together so I have quite a lot of stuff to drop by the lab in the morning. They were nice enough today when I went by to drop off the samples I pulled at the vet to give me paperwork that I could fill out at home and then just drop the samples and paperwork off in a bag on my way to work. The CAE tests are only 3.00 if I take them in myself. It's nice having a lab right here in town. The vet only charged me $48 for an office visit and some red-top tubes. The tests were all less than $30, the most expensive being the copper test on my young doe. (I know liver biopsy is best, but my vet said the serum might give us a clue without the invasivness of a biopsy). I guess we'll see. Well, I just wanted to encourage any of those people sqeamish about pulling blood to have their vet show them how to do it, it really isn't hard at all. In fact...I'm looking for more jugulars.....maybe that's why all my horses were avoiding me tonight???
    Anita

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Good for you!! I put goats and horses in the same catagory for ease of pulling blood on! EXCLUDING DONKEYS! It's like pulling blood on a buck in rut. Little secret about pulling blood on rutting bucks....look for the jugular higher on the neck. I've even pulled just below the throat latch on some older bucks. ;)
    Kaye

3. shawhee

shawhee Member

Way to go Anita! I drew blood Monday night and sent mine out this morning. I have done it on my horses, and had to give meds in vien on them. But this was my first time on goats. Was not the easiest thing to do alone, but I got everyone done. I had one that gave me a fit, poor girl I poked her like 4 times, and not sure I got enough, but she did not want any part of me doing it. That is nice to have a lab to just drop it off at. I will be anxiously awaiting my results, as I am sure you are too.

Shawna

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Good going Anita, I just learned last week too.

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I'll look for that jugular a little higher. Hardest part was, my son was helping me, and he had no problem holding the girls heads up, but refused to touch the buck (not that I blame him :/), so I had a couple of collars on him (the buck, not my son), tied him to a stall on one side and had Jason stand outside the stall and pull his head up, or try to on the other side. This buck is not hard to handle at all, just kind of wiggly, and I guess I got him a little excited :blush2, but anyway, unless I can find someone willing to put up with smelling like him, I guess I may have to wait... :sigh
    Anita