I just got stomped!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mpete, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mpete

mpete New Member

My neighbor was attacked by her buck last weekend and sent him up here until we can deal with him next weekend (not the first crazy thing he's done). Then today I was done milking when the doe got loose and ran to the pen adjacent to his so I was going to get her when out of nowhere he rams the fence, hitting me. I grabbed a stick trying to get him off the fence but ofcourse it just mad him more mad, backed up, charged the fence and managed to get over it. He tried to go after me again, hit my hip, knocking me down and was hitting me with legs and horns. I managed to grab a pitchfork and pushed him off but only the garden hose water worked well enough to grab his horns and wrestle him back into his pen. I am really sore and bruised. I am now convinced this buck is nuts.... :mad

2. coso

coso Guest

Butt me once shame on the buck. Butt me twice shame on you. He'd be a dead buck if he was at my place or wishing he was that way. He will just get worse if you don't either kill him or get your bluff in on him. My .02

PS: Glad it didn't hurt you any worse then he did. :help2

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Yikes...and here I am thinking there is no way nohow a goat could ever hurt me...one of the reasons I stopped raising Shorthorns and got goats. I have had 4 bucks around here, all Alpines, and none have had a mean bone in their bodies. Guess I've been lucky.

I wouldn't put up with a mean one either...250 lbs of testosterone with horns isn't what I would call a pet.

4. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I am sorry you got beat up!

This buck's problem- if it is the one I am thinking about- is that the owner let it get away with way too much. She was very afraid of him from the get-go and helped to create a monster. I have respect for my bucks, and their power, but I still expect them to know that we are the head goats...letting an animal with that much strength tell you what to do is a big mistake! Some people aren't cut out or set up to own bucks. Of course, it may be a different buck than the one I am thinking of, lol.

I assume that when Michelle says "deal with him" she means he is destined for the freezer ;)

Michelle

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Om my gosh I hope you are feeling better soon, and double hope NO children walk by that pen.. I'ld dispatch him Now and let him Hang in the cool basement for four days then cut him up.
    Of course you are in a much warmer zone than I.

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Hope you heal fast ..Number 1 rule here is no mean anials. I would have stabbed the sob with the pitchfork.

Patty

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Patty :rofl :rofl :rofl

Man... Hope you heal and yep... I would have shot him dead. He wouldn't have had a second chance at anybody.

8. Wow So glad you are not seriously hurt.

And if he was my buck...well he'd be dead.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Found a new name for that buck. How about: Freezer Burn ? :lol
    Glad you are okay.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

This would be an excellent opportunity to throw a neighborhood BBQ.....or start a "save the buzzards" program.

Whim

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I hope you heal soon. Smells like dinner to me, what time's supper?

Autumn

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

"Save the Buzzards" :rofl :rofl :rofl

Another name: Appetizer :D

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:nooo He would definitely be buzzard bait here! I won't even tolerate a buck that rears at me, in play. If taking them to the ground doesn't work the first time, he gets shot and put out for buzzard/coyote food. I've only been hit once...by a Nubian buck (tells ya' how long ago THAT was) and by the time I beat him off me with a 2x4...his next view was UP the barrel of a shotgun!
    LOL...zero tolerance for this kind of behavoir.
    Kaye

14. First and last time Demi John reared up on me he found a size eight firmly planted on his rear end. He don't even try now, but we spend alot of time with him and his commands. Otherwise...well :yeahthat

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Michelle sure hope by now you are still able to move and on the road to recovery. Also I certainly hope this buck is gone by now. So sorry you had to deal with someone elses buck like this.
    I to would not tolerate this type of behavior it is just too dangerous no matter the quality of the buck.

16. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

Yeah, geez... Bucks can be dangerous and they need to be taught that they're not the ones in charge. Yikes. I used to throw our Nubian buck to the ground and sit on him when he got stupid.

'Course, he didn't have horns. I'm finding it harder to do that with our Boer buck... I'm thinking it's time to take the garden hose to him.

17. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Garden hose? ....As in tying him? Wacking him? Getting him wet? Butchering? If butering, what does a garden hose have to do with it? I am showing my ignorance I know, but I am curious.

18. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

The hose is for watering your garden with, while watching the buzzards circle over in the woods behind the pasture.

Whim

19. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

All of the above? In descending order of effectiveness? And you do use a hose in when butchering because you gotta wash up the mess afterwards (if you do it at home) or, like Whim said, standing in the garden watering the plants while the buzzards are circling in the pasture. :laughcry

No, really, someone on a mailing list I'm on posted a story about how she was at a sheep show and this gentleman had the nicest, well-behaved rams she'd ever seen. She asked him how he did it, and he said that if they ever started getting misbehaved (butting him), he would tie them to something and hose them down for several minutes. It always seemed to work.

Well, she said that a couple of weeks later, her ram (or buck, I forget which) butted her, so she tied him up to a fence and started hosing him down. Along came her teenaged daughter who got irate and said, "You can't do that to my ram!" Without even saying anything, she turned the hose on her daughter.

Unfortunately, it didn't work on her teenaged daughter. It did work on her unruly ram/buck. :D