I have questions about my buckling...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Mar 5, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Rowdy and his sister Rouge are now 12 days old. Rowdy however has been acting very bucky since day 5 and is steadly increasing his behavior - he mounts his sister and also runs full speed to her when she pees - and already gets full enjoyment out of her urine - of course we stop him, but wow, i had no idea they would start doing this at 5 days old ! Is this normal ? Will he still make a good, nice, none-bucky wether ? Is it still ok to wait till 6 weeks to band him ?

He also has always pee'd a lot, i mean a lot ! Sometimes after you think he can't go anymore and looks done, he will just start peeing again - it is at least 5 times as much as Rouge. Also, sometimes he will stand to pee, and will pee a little, then stop, then a little, then stop - but most of the time it just pours out - it this normal too ?

DH also called me at work, he said he thinks he ( Rowdy that is :+) is constipated today - so what do i do about this - a warm water anema with my baby snot sucker thing ? If so, how much water, and how far "in " do i go ?

Thanks !

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Well he sounds fine to me and yes he will calm down when you wether him...mine are doing the same thing and they are barely 2 wks old and are Nigi's...typical bucky behavior...I know with Nigi's they are fertile early but not to worry as he isnt yet and wont be till I think its 3 or 4 mths...a soapy water enama is about 2 or 3 cc's of warm water and some Ivory liquid...dont use the antibacterial type. Use the plain dish soap.
    My boys pee more than their sisters too...

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Chaty ! He is an alpine buckling if that makes any difference. I only have anti. soap - can i use just warm water ? Or put veggie oil or something in his bottle ?

I had no idea boys would be boys so early on !

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

You can give him some Karo in his bottle I use the dark Kaor syrup. and you can give him just a warm water enema. I have the baby fleet enemas and they are glycerine liquified. Yep my Alpines do it also I have just had a set of twin mini alpines and he is talking already too and my older bucks when they were babies did it too...Thats just the male in them...doing their bucky talk... NO dont put any veggie oil in his bottle ...not good.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You really don't want to put anything in that milk that will smother any good bacteria that is in his tummy. If he is eating good and is active I really wouldn't do anything to him at this point. Maybe he just missed his poo poo time.
    Yep, I've had 3 bucklings this year at a week to 2 weeks old they were all riding each other.

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It is normal for little bucklings to pee for a long time. I spent the other night at my friend's house and went to check on a few of her goats in the morning. She has twin Alpines being raised by their dam. The little family woke up when I entered their pen. The doeling went right to her mom and started nursing. The buckling stood there and peed...and peed. By the time he went to mom for his breakfast, his sister was almost done eating. He's a very healthy little guy. Kathie

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks everybody ! He was backed up, so i gave him a warm water anema - and boy did he feel better after that !!! He was like a little rocket ship around the kitchen ! A good amount came out - they were fairly hard bigger then normal orange pellets - what causes these little guys to get constipated ? He is on mother's milk, just bottle fed it. Anyways, i can't belive the difference in his personality - he sure felt better - but i don't think i would have noticed if DH didn't notice - cause up till now he has acted normal for him, he just got supercharged after this !

I can't belive how bucky they are this early ! Wow !