I have no idea what I'm doing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mdbates, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mdbates

mdbates New Member

:help
    My husband bought 6 goat kids on Sat. 2-3weeks old. They were bottle feed. I think. I don't know the history for any of them.
    I have two milking goats but they are not giving me enough for all 6 plus their own. I gave them goat milk Sat. night & all day Sun, than starting Mon. I bought goat formula, and mixed goat milk and formula. Yesterday(Tues) I noticed 3 has diarrea and runny nose& eyes and sound conjested in the chest. This morning all but one has at least one of this symtems. These are my first kids, I have only started with goats last year, I started with an adult and a kid that was already eating grain and hay. I bought 2 milking does last week, one came with a doeling. She is doing fine no problems.
    WHAT DO I NEED TO DO!!!! :help :help

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

First of all, quit giving them milk replacer and mix the goat milk with whole cow's milk from the store. Replacer is BAD for baby goats. It is the reason for the diarreah. I'd take temperatures on the ones that sound congested to see if they are running fevers. In my herd, if the goats were having those symptoms, I have some liquid sulfa I got from my vet. It helps with both the scours and the respiritory symptoms. Just be careful they when you give the oral meds, you do it slowly and carefully so the kids don't inhale any. Kathie

3. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep Vit D milk from grocery store. put a tad of BS in the bottles.

5. mdbates

mdbates New Member

ok, so I'll use store bought whole milk next feeding. how much? the replacer said at their age they should get 36 oz a day split in 2-3 times a day, is it the same for the whole milk?
    what is sulfa? Will a vet give it to me or do I have to take my goats to the vet first.
    How do I find a vet that cares for goats? I knew one, but when I called yesterday he said he was retired.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you can purchase cocci meds from the feed stores Corid is a good one or order from Jeffers Livestock Demethox 40%
    I give my 2 to 3 wk olds a all they will drink up to a 20 oz pop bottle 4 times a day moving down to 3 times a day

7. mdbates

mdbates New Member

I'm confused. What is cocci, sulfa, & corid?
    You feed your 2-3 week olds up to 20 oz times 4 times a day (80 oz per day per goat)?

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok 1st off no I do not feed them 20oz 4 times a day. I use a 20 oz coke bottle full and let them drink all they will drink this I do 4 times a day when they are up to drink the full 20 oz then I switch to 3 times a day and once they are eating grain and alfalfa pellets and hay good I drop the middle bottle and only feed them the 20 oz twice a day. Milk is what makes them grow.
    Cocci is coccidious a bacteria that all goats get but babies worse so they have to be put on preventative matinence by the use of sufa meds which are Corid and or Demethox 40% there are others like sulumet and albon but are lessor strengths and you have to drench so much that it is hard. This preventative treatment is given every 21 days for 5 days. there is another cocci med which is Demethox-M and it is a powder u use in the bottles but then when they are weaned you have to go with the liquid drench such as corid anyway.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you just have to keep calling all vets in the area and see who will work on goats. or find out from a 4 H group /goat club etc in the area. Most large animal vets will tho they may not have a lot of experience with goats.

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

feed em whole cow milk, I milk my does, and add how much cow milk I need to the then pastuerized goat milk. I would for 6 kids put in 120 ounces or a gal If your other kids are dam raised that is. 20 oz per kid 3 times a day till they are eating hay or alfalfa pellets good then 2 x a day.
    you need to do Something to prevent cocidiosis (many threads on this)
    you need to worm your little kids about every 3 weeks.
    a good wormer for young kids is Valbazen.
    ~ check those temps and see if the rattle chested ones have pneuonia? Or maybe they could have shipping fever? Good luck with your babies. and I like your title to this post we gals will be Happy to tell you what to do ! : )

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I agree. If these were my babies, first off I would keep the babies that were purchased separate from my home grown babies and mamas, especially if they came from the sale barn. You never know what kind of illnesses or disease that they could bring home to your place. Next thing I would do is get a bottle of DiMethox 40%, probably have to order it from Jeffers Livestock online. I would give them the treatment dose then give the preventative dose each month thereafter until they are weaned. If you don't want to give the DiMethox as a preventative monthly, you can purchase a bag of Decoxx-M and mix a teaspoon full in each of their bottles every morning until weaned. This is what I do and it is easier for me. The dosages are listed in Goat Keeping 101 I believe, if not we can give it to you. If these are little kids just a week or 2 old, they should do fine on 3 16 ounce pop bottles of milk a day. If this is too many kids for you to be buying that much of that expensive milk for, just resell a few of them. As they get older they will want more milk. I am feeding 5 kids 2.5 gallons of goat milk a day in a lambar bucket (bucket with 5 nipples on it). I feed in the morning and evening. They are growing and doing fine. Go ahead and put out hay and some meat goat pellets with the cocci meds in it for them to learn to eat between bottles. Mine were born mid February and they are eating the meat goat pellets, alfalfa pellets and hay and their milk.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

becareful what the meds are in the goat pellets because some don't mix with the oral cocci meds.

13. mdbates

mdbates New Member

ok here's another question. one goat (no name yet) will not take a goat nipple he will only take a baby bottle. I have to all most force it in his mouth than he plays with it alot before he finishs it takes his twice as long to drink thananyone else. is this normal? He does seem to be the youngest, but they are all very close in age.

14. mdbates

mdbates New Member

I only have 1 kid being dam raised right now. I have doe due in May. That will start a whole other set of questions.
    Yes they are separated. The kids from the sale are in the barn.
    My first goats and two new adults&1kid are in the pasture they share the shelter my husband built before winter.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes some kids are just dumbies I have one right now dumb as a rock. at taking the nipple can't find the moms teat but knows how to get in your lap anyway possible :)
    however give that baby a shot of BoSE if you have it if not then a vit E capsul 400 iu peoples
    poke a hole in the end and squirt in his mouth two or three days. This might stop the tounge rolling and playing sometimes they don't have cordination with the use of their tounge.

16. mdbates

mdbates New Member

Where do I get BoSE what is it?

I called the vet and he is going to give me antibiotics for all the kids. He also said I should give them electrolites, does anyone have a recipe or is it best to just buy from store?

17. Theresa

Theresa New Member

You have to get Bose from your vet, it is prescription. So, ask him about it when you go to get the antibiotics. Not sure about the electrolytes. If they are drinking ok, and you get the diarrhea to stop then they should be ok.

18. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I wouldn't bother with electrolytes like Theresa said. If they are drinking their milk they are probably not dehydrated. If they are dehydrated IMHO the best thing to do is get a bag of Lactated Ringers from the vet and give them a bubble of fluids under the skin a couple of times a day. The least you can put into their tummy other than milk the better off they are. BoSe is a Selenium Vitamin E combination and is by prescription only. What antibiotic is he giving you? Be careful getting meds from the vet. Sometimes they charge you out the rear for something that you can get from Jeffers a lot cheaper. We've all been there ... done that.

19. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

You can tell if they are dehydrated to some extent...their eyes look different and will sink in. If they are acting good and bright-eyed-- probably not an issue. If you do need it, I always used Pedialyte for electrolytes, there are recipes to make it yourself but that was much easier for me. Get the unflavored stuff, generic brand is fine. The electrolytes sold over the counter for cows are not balanced for babies.

20. mdbates

mdbates New Member

I think all but one is no longer having diarria. The meds the vet gave me to give is one shot each of Draxxin .3ml. $15 and he taught me how to give the shots to the other goats.
    I have given them each some pepto and a does of Electro gel. I already had this from another time with my older goats.
    Tonights feeding will be their fourth feeding with the cow milk mixed with yogurt and fresh goat milk.
    I haven't given them any baking soda yet. They are geting tired of all the poking and proding. Can I give the baking soda in the milk when I feed them? How much?
    I forgot to pick up the Vit-E while I was out so that will have to what till tomarrow.
    anything else I need to do right now?
    Each kid is drinking a pint a feeding except the one on the baby bottle he is only drinking 18oz.
    I laid down more staw and built a straw box to sleep in tonight, it is supose to get cold.