I have a question about oxytocin...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 20, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I just heard sombody say that they use oxytocin to induce their does - i didn't think thats what it was for though, so could somebody clear this up for me ?

If it is used, will the doe dialate properly ? Or will she just start pushing without dialating ?

I thought the use of oxytocin was for expelling the after birth when she isn't cleaning out on her own, and have heard of it being used for weak contractions as well as to make her let down her milk. Now i'm confused. Thanks !

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wouldn't listen to her for other information giving out such poor information like that. Giving oxytocin to a doe IM will produce contractions on a closed cervix. It will burst the uterus kill the kids and kill the doe. It will also have her pushing on a not ready cervix which can cause severe cervix tears and tears in the uterus...both things can leave your doe from either being able to settle but also be able to carry the kids to term with a problem cervix.

It's one thing to mistakenly give out information about worming etc., that in the end is a benign...a whole nother thing to talk about vet scripts she so obviously knows nothing about. It's just scary.

The other problem with oxytocin information is dosages, 1/4 and 1/2cc works well to bring down milk, to help expell the placenta to give contractons after kidding to get a does uterus down to size...the cow dosages you hear are once again just plain scary. Vicki

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Vicki - i knew it did not sound right. Thats why if i hear something new i feel so lucky to be able to ask all you wonderful people :+)

She had also said that the the dose was higher then 1 cc - i can't remember what she said, but she is just full of it anyways.

My vet gave me some oxy to have on hand, but he gives it to me already loaded up in 1 cc. syringes - but if i ever do have to use it, should i start with just 1/4 or 1/2 cc ?

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I wouldn't listen to her for other information giving out such poor information like that.
    :yeahthat
    Very bad info!! Let *whoever* rip their own does cervix and kill her. Reason we use Lute??....it prepares the body exactly as if going into natural labor...rather than squeezing the heck outa' those kids. LOL...besides the fact that adrenalin can override any dose of oxytocin!

Like Vicki said...use the lower doses rather than the blasted cow doses! You get the same desired affect without loading the does system with the higher doses.
    Arrggghhh. It just has to be the full moon....they're crawling outa' the woodwork!
    Kaye

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep and a lunar eclipse tonight also. :)

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I so rarely use Oxytocin now that I don't have retained placentas from lack of copper or stopped using molassed feeds and don't have congested udders. But depending upon what I was using it for 1/2 cc would be for retained placentas, giving it every 4 to 6 hours until she passed it with milking and massage...1/4 cc before milking to help with milk let down...1/2cc during a sluggish labor with the cervic dialated...also using it as wash in the uterus of a bleeding doe with no muscle tone to her uterus, if she would have stood up it would have prolapsed. Vicki

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks all !!! Vicki - i have your doses down now just in case i need to use it in the future - Thanks :+)