I have a couple kid questions....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so my Saanen doe kidded 2/2/08 with a large single buckling ( sire was a nubian ) DH named him Ace. Yesterday he was dissbudded and all went well and looks great. He also sold yesterday, with a deposit on the way - they want to pick him up at around 4/2/08.

Here are my questions ....

I bought his dam bred, and i don't think she has ever had CD & T shots - so before this little fella goes to his new home, when and what does he need for shots ?

When should he be wormed, and with what ? I have valbazen and 1.87% ivermectin ( horse paste ) on hand - his dam was wormed after she kidded.

He will be going as a pet goat, so when should i band him ? And will he need an extra tetnus shot, or will a CD & T cover it ?

Also, i would like to send with all kids i sell starting with him, an information packet on goat care - to help prevent mistakes i've made, as well as giving the new owners a great start. Does anybody have something like this that i can print out ?

Ok, last question - it's been VERY cold here ( like -30 wind chill ) and is only supposed to get to the double digets over the next week - i need my kidding stall as i have a doe due the 18th - Ace never seems to be cold, but i'm worried about moving him outside. They will move into an outside pen next to the other does, but not in with them. The shelter in that pen is a 3 ft x 5ft plywood shelter, with a 2ft wide door in front. Will he be ok in this ? I was thinking about hanging something over the front of the door to help keep heat in better as well.

Thanks !

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I bought his dam bred, and i don't think she has ever had CD & T shots - so before this little fella goes to his new home, when and what does he need for shots ?

Give him 2cc subq of CD&T at 3 weeks old, another at 6 weeks old as you band him. Then send another shot home with them for them to give him after he is 12 weeks old.

When should he be wormed, and with what ? I have valbazen and 1.87% ivermectin ( horse paste ) on hand - his dam was wormed after she kidded.

I would worm him with Valbazen at 6 weeks old, with your Ivermectin the day he is leaving and tell the folks to worm him with the Ivermectin paste monthly until the tube is gone, then worm him spring and fall.

He will be going as a pet goat, so when should i band him ?

See above.

And will he need an extra tetnus shot, or will a CD & T cover it ?

Banding him on his second shot will do it, the after 12 weeks is just insurance.

Also, i would like to send with all kids i sell starting with him, an information packet on goat care - to help prevent mistakes i've made, as well as giving the new owners a great start. Does anybody have something like this that i can print out ?

I don't make wethers, so you might want to get one specifically for wethers, since the best diet for them is a meat goat pellet that already contains their cocci meds (deccoquinate, rumensin, lasalocid etc.) and hay. Warning the folks about feeding treats and any grain at all that doesn't contain ammonium chloride for urinary calculi...in fact I would title this printout...How not to love your wether to DEATH!

I have a very basic list of what I do I can send you via my email....vickilonesomedoe@hotmail.com but it is about working girls. Vicki

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I take it that Ace will be living with his dam when you move him outside. The shelter you mention should be warm enough if you bed it with straw. My mama goats snuggle with their kids and keep them warm when it gets cold here.

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

goatkid - yes Ace will be with his momma, and they do snuggle, i'm just such a worry wort ! I'm glad i don't have to take him from her till weaning as well - everything always seems to work out :+) Thanks !

5. Doc

Doc New Member

You could direct them to Carolyn Eddy's book on Wether Diets and care. Hoegger's sells it.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah and then we could critique it :)

Hi Doc, glad to see you posting!

Trudy, I am going to post it in goatkeeping 101. But remember it's for my area, for folks with full sized dairy goats and those who raise on CAE prevention. So everyones miles may vary. vicki