I have 12 day old Kids and need some advice

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rebecca, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

I have twin doelings that I bought that are 12 days old. I have a question. I don't have access to goats milk so I am bottle feeding them Whole Milk from the grocery store. They are doing great except they are grinding their teeth occasionally and their stools have mucous in them and I have saw a very small amount of blood in the mucous.I ran a fecal test on them at home and saw nothing. I took them to the vet yesterday and got them disbudded and had the vet run a fecal to double check for worms and he saw nothing either. He reccommended switching them gradually over to Milk Replacer. Reluctantly due to the fact I don't want to make them sick or give them the scours I went and bought a bag of Land O Lakes Calf Milk Replacer 22/20 and mixed it per the directions on the bag and fed them 2 ounces Milk Replacer with 6 ounces Whole Milk well after two bottles they are starting to get loose stools so I stopped the Milk Replacer immediately. They both appear to be doing great. The vet weighed them and Annie weighs 10# and Belle weighs 12.5#. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:whatdoyouthink

Thank You,

Rebecca Boling
    Princess Acres
    Haskell, OK

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Just a off hand guess you might want to treat for cocci...either with sulmet or Di-Methoxx...never really had any blood in my babies stols but then its different for each 1 isnt it...just a thought.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Hi Rebecca! Thanks for the kind words for Magic.. as for your two there, my first guess would be cocci, but I think that would show up on fecals (?) are you still warming the milk? I've had kids go back & forth between GM & WM & mixed without a problem.. I'm hoping someone else will come along with more help, because obviously I'm clueless!

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

What breed are they? I would not use the milk replacer at all on these kids. I would stick with the whole milk. If this was me I would probably try some Sulmet on them for a few days.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope NO replacer IMO put 1/4 teas baking soda in your whole milk and they will do fine. giving replacer and they start having the runs. and dehydrate. most replacers are whey or soy and neither can curdle in their stomach to beable to enter their little bodies. Do a search on here abt replacer Vicki explains it so much better than I can

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

A little probios in the bottles or a dab of paste in their mouths once a day might be helpful as well.

Camille

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Get a tube of Probios. Give them a little toothpaste size amount once a day. I wouldn't worry this time of year about using cocci prevention.

Glad you backed off the milk replacer. At this age it causes more problems than it helps.

Make sure you are on schedule with the milk. Their body temps are 102, so make sure and keep the bottles as close to that as possible, if you are doing lukewarm than do it always like that, same with cold. They do poorly with change at this period. Don't let one finish the others bottle unless they are used to it. Make sure the bottles are spaced out during the day, no more than every 4 hours.

How much milk are you giving them per feeding? Vicki

8. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

I am feeding them 8 ounces each about every 4-5 hours during the day and they usually get me up once during the night for a bottle.

Rebecca Boling
    Princess Acres
    Haskell, OK

9. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

Christine, they are Nubian doelings that were born on December 27th. Magic the doe that passed away after the C section for the retained kid was their mother.

Rebecca Boling
    Haskell, OK

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

How are they doing today?

11. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

doesn't blood in their stool mean ecoli? Shannon

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sometimes, but it usually come with the statement that the poo smells awful, plus with illness going on.

Kids can simply get an irritated bowel with changes in feed this young, and pass some small amounts of blood. Vicki

13. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

The girls are doing good today. I gave them a dose of slippery elm and Probios last night and the scours are gone. Their stools are back to pellets, but still have the mucous in them and they are still grinding their teeth occasionally. They don't act sick they are playing, stretching when they wake up and telling me when they need to go outside to potty so maybe I am getting concerned over nothing.
    They are such sweethearts and already have mom wrapped around their little hooves. :goat

Rebecca Boling
    Princess Acres
    Haskell, OK

14. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Wonderful Rebecca. :biggrin

15. CGFarm

CGFarm New Member

Here's a list a friend of mine sent me.
    Symptoms of each:

E-Coli
    Kid is usually under 2 weeks old.
    White to pale yellow color
    Wet mouth
    sometimes a watery belly (lots of fluid and can be
    jiggled, can hear it.
    Dehydration is the killer---
    Treatment: Fluid treatment & Spectinomycin
    Treat with Floppy Kid treatment as well, as E-coli is
    the cause of floppy kid.

Cryptosporidiosis
    Kid is usually 5 days to a month old
    Creamy yellow to brown diarrhea, sometimes watery
    Supportive care only, no cure, just trying to get them
    to survive the diarrhea until their immune system
    kicks in.
    Pepto Bismuth
    Rehydration-drench or IV/SQ

Salmonella
    Kid of any age.
    Kids under 1 week usually die without symptoms

Coccidiosis
    Kids age 1-4 months
    Can have mucous or be watery

16. CGFarm

CGFarm New Member

A lady i know also raise's hers on cows milk. They put baking soda and some "energy" in the milk and haven't had any problems. Hope this helps. Glad to hear they are doing better!
    Denise

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I've raised many kids on whole cow milk from the store (I tend to sell too much goat milk off the farm ;) ). There is no need to add anything to it.

Sara

18. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Not true. E-coli is very hard to treat...been there, done that! Antibiotics are also needed, in the form of Naxcel as the "myocins" didn't help in my case.
    Be very careful where you put dairy calves in relation to baby goats.

Not trying to be smart, just experience.
    Kaye