I hate to waste-but does this need to be sterile?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I am gathering milk samples from my does to send into LSU for a check. Do I need to get a new sterile needle and syringe for each doe - to put it into the vacutainer? I was thinking maybe if I used the same one for everyone some milk residues from another goat might mess up someone else's test results, does it really matter? I want the results to be right, but hate to waste sterile needles and syringes if I don't have to! What do all of you do? Thanks! Kristin :)

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Instead of using a needle and syringe, just pop the top off the vacutainer. You can then just pour some milk in and the top will pop back on.
    Theresa

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

What I do is clean my hands like a surgeon, clean the teats the same & use an alcohol prep-wipe to really clean the orifices. I will hold the vacutainer in my left hand, pop off the top with my right hand pinki, use my right hand to squirt the first squirt onto the ground then the next one goes into the vacutainer and gets capped.
    No, I would NOT reuse needles, syringes etc.. because yes, you will screw up results.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat That's the only way you are going to be able to get an uncontaminated sample. Straight from the teat into the blood tube and cap immediately.
    If you milk it into something then pour it into the blood tube...you're contaminating the sample with the milk bucket.
    I hope, by reading your post, that you didn't intend to draw milk from the udder with that needle and syringe??
    Kaye

5. Liberty Alpines

Oh no Kaye! Thanks everyone, that's what I was thinking. Kristin

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:whew :shrug That's how I read it. Good for you.
    Kaye

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yeh me too Kaye and I abt flipped out didn't know how I should answer :)

8. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

She was probably thinking of doing it the way I have...I didn't know the tops came of the tubes so I pull the plunger out of a syringe w/ needle attached. Squirt the milk in there and then poke it in the vacutainer tube. Now I won't have to waste a needle and syringe next time-Hah!

9. Liberty Alpines

Sorry I wasn't clear, yes, I do it (or did do it!) the same way Mishael does. Kristin

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

no need to mess with that add'l step, just pop the top off the tube and squirt in there after cleaned and the first squirt on the ground.