I got myself a early christmas present...copper bolusing!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dana, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dana

Dana New Member

Okay, I'm really excited and a little nervous, but I've read a lot about this copper bolusing stuff and now I'm committed to trying it. I ordered the goods today and wait anxiously for it in the mail (UPS actually).

Pray for me when it comes...I'm afraid I'll not get the capsules down their throats! :/

Dana

2. LaManchaPaul

LaManchaPaul New Member

Hey, I was the very same way.... I didn't have anyone near who could show me how but from these goat forums information, I became determined. Alice-Rose and Vicki gave me great support. It was smooth & I did it without any problems. Only one doe chewed her capsule. You will do fine. Don't sweat it.

Another thing is that I so very carefully weighted the goats and the copper rods, double checking them. THEN, someone posted that they give the entire bolus to a full-sized goat. So I sweated the doseage needlessly.

Consider taking individual pictures (before&after) of your goats to compare in a couple of months. Please let us know how it turns out. Best

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You really need to weigh out and do the bolusing according to info given here on the copper forum. Why take a chance on causing toxitity?

4. Dana

Dana New Member

Thanks for the encouragement Paul! Good idea about before and after pics!

Sondra, I will be very careful measuring and weighing the goats and copper oxide rod. Here's the info I plan to use:

-1 gram copper oxide per 22 lb at 6 mo intervals
    -Break open the 12.5 gram bolus of Copasure, and line up the rods.
    150 lb = 7 grams
    130 lb = 6 grams Divide Copasure rods in ½ and fill two "000" caps for 2 goats
    100 lb = 4.5 grams
    80-90 lb = 4 grams Fills large half of 000 cap full, plus pinch or two in small half
    60-70 lb = 3 grams Fills large half of 000 cap to 1/8" below top
    50 lb = 2.5 grams Fills large half of 00 cap
    40-45 lb = 2 grams Fills to 3/8" below top of large half of 00 cap

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
    Dana

5. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

that's a useful & handy chart!

now to remember what I saved it under....

6. carlidoe

carlidoe New Member

I don't understand the part on your chart that says "at 6 mo intervals"...please explain. I am about to bite the bullet and copper bolus mine for the first time :/

7. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

I am still struggling with how do you get one down a goat?
    I have a war just trying to check eyelids for anemia. And oral meds, I wear more than I get down them!
    I think that I need a squeeze chute, and a head lock of some sort, not the milking stand, they have too much leeway with their heads.

What would it hurt to just open the bolus and put it on their food?

8. Lynn_Theesfeld

Lynn_Theesfeld New Member

"What would it hurt to just open the bolus and put it on their food?"

Take a copper rod and you try to chew it. It will seriously break teeth :)
    As for oral meds the best way I have found to get it down them is with this:
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...9RF6L394N988LL8PJUFGADGM5563S3D&pf_id=0026479
    It's called a feeding syringe, but works wonders :)

For bolusing I use a bolus gun I got from the feed store, it is small I think for calves, but it might actually be for goats, dab some peanut butter on it stick in the bolus, insert into goats mouth, pull the plunger.... It can still be a pain, but it's worth it in the long run.

Lynn

Dana Love that chart I am stealing it for future reference! ;)

9. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

I thought the rods were just little tiny things? I have never seen one, or even a photo of one, I assumed they were like copper dust?
    They can't be too huge if they fit in a bolus.
    And when the goat chews her cud, wouldn't they come back up and get chewed anyhow?

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

The rods are needle like, and they are copper- metal. They are very hard. They would be like chewing grit and they sound awful when a goat does accidentally chew them. They are also within a certain, size, weight and shape range that will cause them to become lodged in the rumen. Chewing them changes this.

I think this weight also prevents them from coming back up in the cud. I'm not sure on that though.

11. Junkscouts

Junkscouts Member

I just did 4 of mine yesterday for the first time. I used a Feeding Syringe like in the link above and mixed the copper with yogurt. It was pretty messy but the main problem I had was that when I squirted it in their mouth a lot of the copper stayed in the syringe and just crunched down at the front. I had to suck up more yogurt 2 or 3 more times and give it to the goat to get most of the copper out of the syringe and into the goat. It was kind of a pain. I think I will try using the capsules on the rest of the goats. Can anyone tell me what size capsule is best? Are the big ones the copper comes in ok or do they need to be smaller?

I didn’t use the stanchion when I gave it to them I just stood with their necks between my legs and my knees together and did it that way, of course I’m 6’ 4” and close to 190 pounds so that might not work for everyone. Only one of the 4 struggled bad and only one liked the yogurt and didn’t fight at all.

12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I always use 00 capsules. One pill filled (the large side like said above) is for 56 lbs of goat. I also fill some halfway up for 27 lbs.

13. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar New Member

I just gone done with this and I photographed my entire 'measuring' and preparing part. I don't use capsuls though, I use syringes w/o the needle or end (I lob the ends off clean with soem kitchen sheers) then I pull the plunger all the way back, fill the syringe with the rods via folded stockboard then top it off with equal parts childrens mutivitamin syrup. I put them in a dish full of beans, pennies w/e up end so they don't spill and let the multivitamins soak in for at least 3 hrs. It becomes a relatively solid 'glob' and I take the goat, hold their head up put it down their throat and plunge, then gently squirt some water into their mouth to help it down. I never had any darn pill capsuls so I started doing it this way... seems to work, but like always, 'I'm no expert!'

14. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar New Member

You have to cut the ends off the syringes, I have a whole set just for bolusing, 3CC and 5CC with the ends COMPLETELY cut off. It stops it from packing up on you, and using a stick, sweet, syruppy works alllloootttt beter then yogurt. It forms a 'pill' of sorts and helps keep the copper together, it's hard for them to spit out too.

15. Nana

Nana New Member

I didn't know you were low on copper in Michigan. The copper here is supposed to be good so haven't done this.

16. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

When goat or Pyrenees wrestling it would be great to be 6'4" and 190.
    My goats outweigh me! And they know it, the brats!
    I always have to get a long handled tool for leverage, but how do you leverage with an animal? ha ha I jump up and down on the 4 way to change a flat, but I don't think that will work on animals! :) Nope, manhandling them won't work, I need to outsmart them or figure a way to restrain them. Maybe a vice? ha ha

17. buckrun

buckrun New Member

All of our goats out weigh us MaryAnn. You need to take charge.
    They have got their bluff in on you and know you will not MAKE them do what you want.
    My goats could toss me on the ground in an instant but it never crosses their mind.
    Attitude. You have to be in control.

If you can't bluff them into submission;) then find a wall or fence and hook the collar to it snugly. Stand facing the same way they do and press on the shoulder with your hip so they are pressed between you and the fence. Reach around the side of the head farthest away from you (against the fence) and hook you arm over neck and under the bottom jaw and grab that with your hand turned up and thumb clamping one side fingers the other. Press with hip on the shoulder and pull head against you with the hand holding the jaw.
    Make sure you are stable and planted firmly on the ground. Then use the pinky finger edge of the hand holding the pill pusher to wedge open the mouth -roll your hand and flip your fingers forward with the bolus gun and slide in place. Make sure you are completely behind teeth and over the hump of the tongue and push the plunger. Done. I put almond butter on mine and they come begging for it and line up and bash each other to get more. I don't have to tie them but the bucks yes.
    I wish I could do a demo for you- it takes seconds and it is so easy to make this great improvement in health. It takes longer to stuff the capsules!

18. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar New Member

:yeahthat

I'm 5 foot even, 140lbs (overweight yes, but still small!) My goats RUN when I walk through with a bucket of grain. NO shoving, fighting, bullying, knocking me over, they'd get their hides tanned! They run away and wait until the feeders are full, then it's chaos! I straddle them to bolus them and they don't like it but aside from a grunt or slight head twist they know it's getting done one way or the other!

19. Squires

Squires New Member

Gentling them also works. My doe is dry, and she's hanging out with a couple of dry dairy sheep right now. A couple times a day I take her out of the pen and bring her a little gran and calf manna and pet her and fuss over her while she eats it. Sometimes I hand-feed her bits of it, sometimes she eats out of the bucket or a trough. I'm retired and perfectly happy to sit in a garden chair and gently fuss over the goat.

All my goats and sheep have dog-collars. I hold the dog collar to pull them to this bucket or that or turn them a bit so I can pet there other side. They think nothing of me taking their collar and stuffing something into the side of their mouth -- no struggle or fuss.

I bought some boluses (boli?) from someone who advertises on here (sorry,gosh I forgot you name - are you still on here?). Old-timers got me!

Each bolus is good for about 40 lbs of goat. My doe is very small. I could have given her three but settled on two. The plastic calf-bolus gun from TSC, Pipestone or Jeffers is just fine. Put two capsules in it, stick it in the side of her mouth and down to the back of the tongue, press the plunger and VOILA! It's done. Only gave one bolus to the buckling. Could probably give each of them a second one, but it's not urgent.

On the other hand, if I WANTED to man-handle them, I weigh about 300 lbs and used to do Judo, so it is not impossible. I just prefer to talk them into it. Old age and all that. ;)

20. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

OK, so you have to be guy! No woman would admit they weigh 300 pounds :) Vicki